G Major Arpeggio Slurred Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

G Major Arpeggio Slurred

Postby owen.hans » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:25 pm

I’ve been having (and have always had) trouble slurring a G major arpeggio on a BBb tuba, not sure why or if it’s just present on my particular instrument. Does any have any suggestions for ways to attack working on this?

Thanks!
owen.hans
lurker
lurker

Re: G Major Arpeggio Slurred

Postby toobagrowl » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:35 pm

The key is to hear those notes G->B->D->G clearly in your head before playing them. And doing lots of lip slurs, keeping the airstream constant & smooth thru those slurred arpeggios :idea:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:24 pm

truths:
- Some tubas are more slippery than others.
- Those tubas that typically find themselves in the hands of younger players often are not the most slippery.
- Ease of doing this is a combination of expertise and the quality of the instrument.
- Players choose different instruments for different reasons, and seem to have different priorities.
- For younger players, the challenges of selecting instruments are many fold, with issues including finances, technical limitations limiting evaluative abilities, and a lack of evaluative abilities defining a lack of priorities.

... oh and… These are true because I say so. :P

Bottom line: Practice it. You will get it.

analogy for bloke:
"Why do I have such a hard time hitting golf tee shots? I've been playing golf for nearly a year now, and I have these nice JC Higgins golf clubs that my brother gave me that he found at a thrift store."
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby TheTuba » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:01 pm

owen.hans wrote:I’ve been having (and have always had) trouble slurring a G major arpeggio on a BBb tuba, not sure why or if it’s just present on my particular instrument. Does any have any suggestions for ways to attack working on this?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if you have a Private lesson teacher, but find one.
If you can't find one, go on Tubenet like I did and post a topic. People will surely contact you.
These are the type of questions that should be asked to the teachers.
do not depend on tubenet, as there are many people who get on, and what they say may/may not apply to you, and at worst, introduce some bad habits.
I'm not purposely being mean, but I got wayy better after I got a competent teacher.
Finally: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16622
hope it helps!
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Art Hovey » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Practice it using legato tongue. Gradually make it more legato and less tongue, but don't abandon the tongue entirely.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Worth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:10 am

Art Hovey wrote:Practice it using legato tongue. Gradually make it more legato and less tongue, but don't abandon the tongue entirely.

I confess to using, on the fewest occasions possible, the lightest possible legato-tongued "slur" to an exposed note if there was a confidence issue on the slur. Mind you, I am amateur and don't get in all the practice I should.
2014 Wisemann 900 / 1970s Conn 2j
Worth
bugler
bugler

Postby swillafew » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 am

You get the best at the keys you spend the most time playing. Playing a routine that evenly divides your time in every key signature is good way to go. A publication called the "20 minute Warm-up" by Hip Bone music does a nice job of addressing slurs and including more key centers.
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TheTuba » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 am

swillafew wrote:You get the best at the keys you spend the most time playing. Playing a routine that evenly divides your time in every key signature is good way to go. A publication called the "20 minute Warm-up" by Hip Bone music does a nice job of addressing slurs and including more key centers.

+1
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:59 pm

When I bought my (French) horn, my then teacher hated it because it was "slippery." That was one of the things I liked about it...ease of slurring. Being a string player, my concept of slurring is a bit smoother than most hornists' concept; they tend to "wah wah" on slurs and I sound more like a bowed instrument in results. I decided it was a musical cultural phenomenon.

This may or may not apply, but: I found that even with different (French) horns, that I needed my chops to arrive at the new pitch as the valve lever hit bottom, and that timing was different on different instruments. You wouldn't think so, but it is. Many maybe wouldn't make the connection.....but it may be part of your problem, timing when your chops arrive at the pitch with when the length of the tube wants to resonate with that pitch, precisely.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby mjrctuba » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm

There are a lot of good contributions here. Without sitting with you, it's hard to say anything definitive. I would say only that more air fixes a lot. If you don't have a teacher, you might want to google "breathing gym." It's a place to start.
mjrctuba
bugler
bugler

Postby timothy42b » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 pm

mjrctuba wrote:Without sitting with you, it's hard to say anything definitive. .

But...............we could sit with him.

Post a link to a youtube video, playing that arpeggio. Smartphone is your friend.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Postby iiipopes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 pm

It is not just the breath support and embouchure conditioning. In the mid to upper octave, the G-B-D-G can be lip slurred fingered 1+2 with relative ease. Especially since the D on a significant number of BBb tubas, when played open is the 5th partial and many times flat, the 1+2 fingering can actually help intonation. On the lower octave, the B nat played 1+2+3 with a quick pull uses only one valve change and will alleviate the burble of trying to get the horn to speak trying to play the lower arpeggio with conventional fingerings, B nat 2+4.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby ren » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 am

As a student, probably a beginner, its ok to have problems with this.

The brain is essentially an averaging machine. Which means that given a set of stimuli, the brain will "average out" the differences of experience to "smooth over" rough patches.
In the case of brass playing, since our instruments do us no favors here, we are playing a single instrument which consists of a set of "bugles" which represent the the different tubing lengths,
controlled by the valves independently applied and in combination.

This is why after not much practice you can slur a bflat scale, even though the tube length of c above low bflat is "stuffier" than the open note but you can slur over it after not much practice fairly easily.
Because you practice the bflat scale alot. Alot more than anything else because you are a beginner.

But your practice is not yet covering the other bugles. You need to practice the slur in the following valve combinations.

0 - open
2 - second valve
1 - first valve
1-2 first and second valve
2-3 second and third valve
1-3 first and third valve
1-2-3 First second and third valve

So assuming you have a 3 valve bflat tuba, you have 7 bugles. You need to practice slurring arpeggios in each of those valve combinations.
Dont practice the G arpeggio alone.

When you do this, your brain will average out the differences in required air flow without you doing anything special.
And you will gain confidence by transference of skill from one arpeggio to the next.

As a youngster you are not practicing enough to overcome what you perceive is a problem,
but which is just a symptom of a lack of disciplined routine.

Professionals run into this with maintenance practice and sometimes dont figure it out until years later.
You have no playing problem except lack of general practice.

See remington warm up for basic stuff. Play through every bugle on your horn every day, in all ranges.
Miraphone 188 (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 (gone)
HB 21 (yes)
Wessex Chicago York (yes)
Wessex Berg F (yes)
ren
pro musician
pro musician

Return to TubeNet