absolutely, positively...

The bulk of the musical talk
arminhachmer
3 valves
3 valves

Re: absolutely, positively...

Post by arminhachmer »

OK Grandpa Kolb, iffenwhen i buy a tuba from y'all, i am coming to pick it up. Maybe spend a night in your tool shed... :mrgreen:
MTFULRUTUBA
bugler
bugler

Post by MTFULRUTUBA »

This is what happens when you hire contractors to deliver for you. FedEx Ground consists of non-FedEx employees (they work for their contractor), but FedEx Express is a lot stricter since they are employed directly by FedEx. Whole different set of rules which is goofy, should be the same across the board. Of course, doesn't mean your packages will get treated any better. I work for FedEx part-time and I would never ship a tuba through them nor UPS for that matter. Only thing I can say in their defense is you would truly be amazed at what people WILL ship and how poorly they WILL package the item they ship to save money. And this includes Wal-Mart "pick-up-at-store" among many other companies.....
Michael Taylor
Instructor of Tuba/Euphonium
Lenoir-Rhyne University, NC
North Greenville University, SC
Anderson University, SC
South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts & Humanities
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

I will STILL take the average "package handler" over the average "at home packer"........which is pretty amazing, all things considered.
MTFULRUTUBA
bugler
bugler

Post by MTFULRUTUBA »

There are bad eggs in any shipping company. But like I said, it really boils down to making sure it is packed very well and with the assumption it will get dropped and thrown like Bloke said earlier. I would be nervous to ship a tuba with anyone in all honesty.

The only music companies I have seen on the belt I work are Dean Guitars and Sweetwater. Dean has the worst packaging (guitar dropped in a very flimsy and loose fitting box) and I cringe every time I see one of their boxes coming down the belt. Sweetwater does a great job packing their items, but I'm sure that it's still not without incident since they seem a bit too tightly packed.

Just remember, your tuba is going down a huge belt 20+ feet off the ground that snakes throughout a warehouse and it is accompanied by flat screen tv's, truck/car tires, car rims, water heaters, mini fridges, air conditioners, other random heavy car parts, barrels, furniture, and God only knows what else.
Michael Taylor
Instructor of Tuba/Euphonium
Lenoir-Rhyne University, NC
North Greenville University, SC
Anderson University, SC
South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts & Humanities