HARD CASE VS GIG BAG Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: HARD CASE VS GIG BAG

Postby PMeuph » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Get the lightest tuba you can find in BBb, maybe a small Jupiter with a hardcase and use that everywhere :? :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Voisi1ev » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Stryk wrote:I have a mixture. As much as I see them berated, I like the Chinese cases. They are light, don't tear up the car, and do a better than gig bag job of protecting. Down size is they are bulky - but not as much as a hard case. My favorite for every day use is the Gard Wheelie. It has a lot more protection than most gig bags, yet not as bulky and heavy as a case. As Bloke says, pick your poison.

The Wheelis bags have backpack straps correct? Do they work well enough for stairs and the occasional band shell across a field or bad parking lot?
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 pm

redundant...
I WISH the snazzy/classy (pictured early in this thread) fiberglass frame JP (OK..."Brazil-style") hard cases were available in a these configurations:

~WISH~ for these (listed below) to be available in that style:
- tall rotary 18" bell
- stubby front-action piston 20" bell
- 6/4 front-action 20" bell (and these tubas - just fwiw - are not particularly tall)
- front-action 17" bell F tuba

That would NOT satisfy everyone, but WOULD satisfy MANY.

currently available:
- 3+1 config. compensating euphonium
- 3+1 config. top-action Eb
- 3+1 config top-action BBb

They DO offer those titanic hard/heavy fiberglass (??) cases for BOTH euphoniums AND 3/4 size 14"-bell tubas, which are not lightweight but nevertheless extraordinary.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Mike C855B » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:26 am

Hard case here, for the previously-stated reasons.

I bought a gig bag for it ("it" = Miraphone 191) last year specifically for a quintet performance requiring a stair climb up a 160' carillon tower. I did a dry run up the stairs carrying a bare, borrowed (much) smaller horn, and on getting to the top, realized that there was no way my tuba would fit through the hatch into the bell loft. We decided against the quintet in the bell loft and made other arrangements to compensate for the distance with the quintet on the ground. So I never used the gig bag, and it's taking up space in the studio.

My main gripe about the hard case is it weighs as much as the horn, with a combined weight of ~75#. Quite a schlep if parking isn't close to the venue.
Mike C855B
lurker
lurker

Previous

Return to TubeNet