3 valves
3 valves

Ive done it

Post by TheTuba »

im going to have lessons with roger bobo once every two weeks indefinetly
hes one of my idols
YES
:tuba: :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Ive done it

Post by royjohn »

Whoa, man, nice one...now you can just convince Roger to convince your parents that you must have a new tuba...LOL...

"New tuba, you can't even play this old one... :roll:
royjohn
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

royjohn wrote:Whoa, man, nice one...now you can just convince Roger to convince your parents that you must have a new tuba...LOL...

"New tuba, you can't even play this old one... :roll:

lol, just had the lesson
1hr lesson turned to 1hr and 30 lol
He got rid of some of my current issues, and gave me tips and warm up exercises that ALREADY (after 20 min) started to help my flexibility.

Best part of the lesson was when he had me play from High top-of-staff Bb to pedal Bb
right after said that I sounded amazing on low Bb
then he said
Roger Bobo:"I have really bad news"
TheTuba:getting scared,"What?"
Roger Bobo: "at the stage you're at now, a 5-valve tuba would help you better"
The Tuba:wasn't that bad.
now, I don't have 20k laying around, so going to leave that part for later
He's a really cool dude, and one of my idols
TubaKen
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaKen »

Hey TheTuba,
Is this real? I mean you're really taking lessons from Bobo? I thought he had moved to Oaxaca, Mexico. Is that where you had your lesson? Also, his blog says
This June and July I’ve booked myself what I consider a dream tour starting in Oaxaca to Los Angeles to Windsor, Canada, to Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania to Aligante, Spain to Firenze, Italy, for the amazing Italian Brass Week.
Are you following him on his tour?
Note, I'm not being sarcastic, just curious. (And a little bit envious, if you are his student. :) )
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

TubaKen wrote:Hey TheTuba,
Is this real? I mean you're really taking lessons from Bobo? I thought he had moved to Oaxaca, Mexico. Is that where you had your lesson? Also, his blog says
This June and July I’ve booked myself what I consider a dream tour starting in Oaxaca to Los Angeles to Windsor, Canada, to Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania to Aligante, Spain to Firenze, Italy, for the amazing Italian Brass Week.
Note, I'm not being sarcastic, just curious. (And a little bit envious, if you are his student. :) )
Right now he works at the academy in Japan. he also travels constantly, sometimes once every two weeks for conservatories/ universities that hire him for masterclasses.
Just last week, he was in sweden, right now he is in san francisco in California, and Friday he'll be in italy, exact time i'll be in india :lol:
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

bloke wrote:With Skype, not only can a teacher tell you that you need a better instrument and a better mouthpiece, but they can also tell you that you need a better microphone!
lol
I used the zoom h1, so I didn't think it was that bad. well, not as bad as a phone next to your tuba :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

TubaKen wrote:Hey TheTuba,
I didn't read the first time lol, sorry
No, I get to have online lessons with him
sorry again! :mrgreen: :tuba:
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

TheTuba wrote: Roger Bobo: "at the stage you're at now, a 5-valve tuba would help you better"
The Tuba:wasn't that bad.
now, I don't have 20k laying around, so going to leave that part for later
He's a really cool dude, and one of my idols
The good news is that you can get a pretty solid used 5-valve CC/BBb tuba for $5-$8K on the secondary market. The bad news is that more valves doesn't always correlate with better musicianship.
[/post]
TubaDrummer
lurker
lurker

Post by TubaDrummer »

When i studied with Master Bobo he nearly insisted i should sell my 184 5 valve BBb and get a 186 5 valve CC. So i did and never missed my BBb. That was 1980.
I know times have changed but back in the day he never would recomend a BBb to any of his students. Same went for Tommy and James Self.
Mirafone 186-5U CC (1979) - Schilke Bobo Gold Mouthpiece
Yamaha Drums - Sabian Cymbals
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

On more than one occasion, Mr. Bobo paid Johnny Carson a visit. Here is one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NymprfjizE" target="_blank