SHIRES TUBA MOUTHPIECS

The bulk of the musical talk
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

SHIRES TUBA MOUTHPIECS

Post by eeflattuba »

I know there is one for sale on this site and their trombones are hugely popular but has anyone tried one or can direct me to a site that sells them?
Carnival of Venice
bugler
bugler

Re: SHIRES TUBA MOUTHPIECS

Post by Carnival of Venice »

Personally... I enjoy it. I use one with my Thor on occasion. There are quite a few aspects which I personally find better than its name brand competitors, but there are some that are not, so I switch back and forward for certain stuff. I bought mine in person.

Price?... not too sure about. Downed $180 for mine I think it was.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Where can we find specs/pictures/info on these mouthpieces? NOTHING on the Shires website about tuba mouthpieces, which is strange.
Carnival of Venice
bugler
bugler

Post by Carnival of Venice »

When I purchased my mouthpiece in person back in April, the individual who was helping me out (kind guy, cant seem to remember his name), had mentioned that the mouthpieces were JUST released at the time, and therefore didnt have any comparisons/"specs" and or a website set up to purchase them. I was in the shop for some work, and he introduced me to him. One thing led to another, and I told him the setup I had, and he set me up with what he thought would work, and it did! He did say that he was the only one who was selling them for the moment. That was Milano Music. All I remember him saying is that he worked through Eastman.
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

I believe the person you're referring to (and the person to contact) would be Chuck Kerrigan at Eastman. He's a stand up guy, and was very helpful to me as I was preparing to purchase my new Eastman York.

I'm playing on the Shires 2E and though I haven't had it for long, I really like it. I had previously been playing on a Laskey 30H.

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I know this is a older thread but has anyone found any more info on the sizing of these mouthpieces? I recently started using one on F tuba ( the Shires 9) but was curious about some info on their contrabass tuba mouthpieces.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Post by eeflattuba »

BBruce107 wrote:I know this is a older thread but has anyone found any more info on the sizing of these mouthpieces? I recently started using one on F tuba ( the Shires 9) but was curious about some info on their contrabass tuba mouthpieces.
Good question.As the author of this forgotten about thread i would like to know too.Both Dillons and Mouthpiece Express sell them but do not offer any specs.A trip to shires website comes up empty.Pickett brass makes the mouthpiece for shires but i can not find any information on their website.Anyone?
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

I emailed Pickett to ask about the Shires 4 that my Eastman 534 came with. I got a prompt reply with specs on it. It is a very nice mouthpiece, BTW. I like it a LOT!
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
MelodicTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MelodicTuba »

I got a 4e with my Eastman 832 and I've enjoyed it a lot, it's not perfect but neither is any mouthpiece. It's very comfortable
Meister Walter Nirschl MWN7 4/4 CC
B&S 3100 Symphonie
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

MelodicTuba wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:09 pm I got a 4e with my Eastman 832 and I've enjoyed it a lot, it's not perfect but neither is any mouthpiece. It's very comfortable
Do you think the "E" stands for Euro shank?...
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
MelodicTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MelodicTuba »

greenbean wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 pm
MelodicTuba wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:09 pm I got a 4e with my Eastman 832 and I've enjoyed it a lot, it's not perfect but neither is any mouthpiece. It's very comfortable
Do you think the "E" stands for Euro shank?...
Don't think so, but I could be wrong. I just know that I'm very satisfied with it. I'd consider it superior to a PT-50 but that's just my experience
Meister Walter Nirschl MWN7 4/4 CC
B&S 3100 Symphonie