Game changer?

The bulk of the musical talk
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Game changer?

Post by bisontuba »

Supreme Court rules states can force online retailers to collect sales tax

Retail stores are closing at an alarming rate.
The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that states can compel retailers to collect sales taxes even if they don't have a physical presence in the state.
The 5-4 decision overturns a 1992 Supreme Court precedent that effectively barred states from collecting such taxes, and could leave consumers paying more for online purchases as cash-strapped states tap a rich vein of new revenue.
In making their decision, justices ruled that South Dakota can collect sales taxes from online retailers like Wayfair, which brought the suit. In doing so, the court reversed a 1992 ruling that allowed states to levy taxes only on those businesses with a brick-and-mortar location within the state. The court said that law effectively incentivized businesses to "avoid physical presence" in states and led to "a judicially created tax shelter" Ultimately, the justices said the current laws are outdated.
"The Internet's prevalence and power have changed the dynamics of the national economy," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion. "The expansion of e-commerce has also increased the revenue shortfall faced by States seeking to collect their sales and use taxes."
South Dakota's law applies only to those businesses with more than $100,000 in sales in a state.
Sucharita Kodali, a retail analyst with Forrester, called the ruling "bad news" for thousands of major online retailers. "Now those companies have to assess taxes on customers or they get sued. For products like furniture, jewelry, electronics, people will likely start to shop local again," she said.
Shares of Amazon (AMZN), Wayfair (W), Etsy (ETSY) and eBay (EBAY) dipped in early trading immediately after the ruling.
State and local governments had grown increasingly agitated as sales from brick and mortar retailers gave way to online retail, which now comprises approximately 9.5% of the dollar value of total purchases.
Related: Supreme Court debates whether to allow states to tax all online sales
Prohibitions against collecting sales taxes from online retailers cost states as much as $13.4 billion last year, according to the General Accountability Office. Although the IRS requires consumers to tally their purchases and pay all applicable taxes with their regular filing, few people do.
Many large online retailers, including Amazon and Wal-Mart, already collect sales taxes because they have a large enough physical presence in each state to qualify as taxable by states. But plenty of smaller players, such as home furnishings websites Overstock.com and Wayfair, don't have widespread enough operations to be subject to state taxing authority, giving them a substantial price advantage over traditional brick and mortar businesses.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Game changer?

Post by Three Valves »

I predict I will be driving to Delaware more often...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

Yes, this is a game-changer for larger retailers, and could become an issue for small businesses like mine. If it comes to the point that I have to figure, and file a sales tax return for every state in which I have a customer during the year, the bookkeeping alone would be a disaster.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

It would be nice if there were a "volume of sales" delimiter, that was non-punitive for small businesses such as yours, that cannot possibly have enough local customers to stay in business.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

bloke wrote:Most often, when tax rates are decreased, tax collections increase.
If you repeat this often enough, it becomes "obvious," that is to say, no need to examine actual data.

As a self-serving argument, it is very powerful.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?