New to the Tuba World & have a question regarding a Yamaha

The bulk of the musical talk
JunkSalvation
lurker
lurker

New to the Tuba World & have a question regarding a Yamaha

Post by JunkSalvation »

I buy storage units out at auctions & recently came across some instruments in a unit. I am only familiar with a few instruments (I play the flute, my daughter the clarinet & some guitar. Then, my son has some guitar lessons under his belt but is trying to decide between percussion or tuba for school band). In this particular unit was a yamaha ybb 103S tuba in the yamaha hardcase with a vincent bach 18 mouthpiece. I took it to 2 different local professionals to see what it may take to get it ready for being played and both said mainly needed flushed/oiled and then would shine right up (I can see some water spots it looks like). There are some dents along an edge but both seemed very unconcerned about those. Lastly, one mentioned she thought the springs could use replacing but that was a pretty cheap fix. Overall, they both thought it was in great condition for the age and would cost around $150 to get it ready to play. I plan to go ahead and do that & then will either sell it or keep it for my kiddo. Now to my main question--Does anyone have an idea of what amount I should ask for it? &, is it always best to do all repairs before selling or let the person who buys it to take care of it however they prefer? Thank you in advance for your help!
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Re: New to the Tuba World & have a question regarding a Yama

Post by PMeuph »

Cleaned up, it could sell at $1000-1200. Not being in a rush, I'd list it at $1500 locally and see what happens. If you're strapped for cash and it really needs to go, maybe listing it for less than $1k is the best plan ($950?). They seem to go for about $500-700 on eBay.

It's a beginner tuba, so cleaning it and changing springs/corks it the best. You don't really need to pay someone to do those things, you can easily find how to do it on youtube and buy the parts on mouthpieceexpress or ebay.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
JunkSalvation
lurker
lurker

Re: New to the Tuba World & have a question regarding a Yama

Post by JunkSalvation »

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it.