Advice

The bulk of the musical talk
ashhealey
bugler
bugler

Advice

Post by ashhealey »

I am currently looking to buy a Miraphone 188 and I found one on a Facebook group. It is a beautiful horn with admittedly a few dents but the most astonishing part to me at least is the rotors. I have never seen rotors look that was before and I was wondering if anyone knew what these things are. The horn was posted for $5,500, I talked him down to $5,150 if I agreed to do local pick up (a 12 hour+ trip for me). Do you think I'm getting a good deal or should I look elsewhere?

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Xkx7Mb6uMJbUVqj6" target="_blank
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Advice

Post by groth »

Holy mackerel, in silver too. I would take the trip and run home as fast as you can for that price (if it plays well).
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Those are not clockspring linkages or paddles. It is Miraphone's presto linkage, circa late 1980s - early 1990s. I had a 186 setup like that.

For what it is worth, I highly doubt it has been "rebuilt" and especially that it was replated. It has certainly had some typical repair work done on it over the years but what you are seeing on the bell is just the normal look bells get when they've been "rolled out" to repair dents and creases. Many tubas have bells that look just like that.

This particular tuba, by the way, was offered for sale on Tubenet a while ago.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86279&hilit=Miraphone+188#p647299
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Lots of wear, but not worn out. Some people will spend some money to replace the presto linkages with the normal modern parts. think around $5k is the right price, as long as the bell isn t brittle or trashed. You will probably like the sound it makes very much.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

...so he can walk to Florida instead of driving? :P