Meinl Weston 2145... Thoughts?

The bulk of the musical talk
ashhealey
bugler
bugler

Meinl Weston 2145... Thoughts?

Post by ashhealey »

Between a Miraphone 188 (maybe a 186) and this Meinl Weston 2145. Both are about the same price (MW is a little more but in a little better shape too). I will be test playing both horns soon but are there any huge differences between the two horns?
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Meinl Weston 2145... Thoughts?

Post by oedipoes »

ashhealey wrote:Between a Miraphone 188 (maybe a 186) and this Meinl Weston 2145. Both are about the same price (MW is a little more but in a little better shape too). I will be test playing both horns soon but are there any huge differences between the two horns?
I've had a 2145 for a year, good tuba, but smallish for my (band) use.
Only briefly played a 188, but it's considerably bigger.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

They are pretty different, but I like them both. I'm not shy about saying how much I like the 188 -- great sound, easy to play, and simple intonation. Low register is a little "tight." Overall, just about the best combination of everything that you can find, but not #1 in every category, either.

The 2145 is a tuba that puts out a lot of sound for its size. It's very much a 4/4 tuba, which makes it seem small when everyone these days is trying to be 4/4+, small 5/4, etc... but it is every bit as large as it needs to be to "keep up" and more. Like the 188, I think they are easy to play, sound nice, and don't take a lot of effort to play in tune. On the 2145's that I've played, the low register was full and pretty easy to play. I like all of the 2145's, but I especially liked the older small-valve 2145, as well as the BBC-edition 2145 (which has a slightly larger bell, less pull on the tuning slides [you don't need it, and it's just more metal getting in the way], and some other modifications that Mr. Fedderly keeps secret). I very nearly bought a new BBC 2145 about 10 years ago, it was a great tuba.

I think either of those tubas would be great options for all-around tubas. Neither is going to give the width and breadth of a larger tuba, but they both have plenty of presence, resonance, and (obviously) volume.

Besides price and preference, the question might simply be if you prefer pistons or rotors?
Aglenntuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Aglenntuba »

I love my 2145. I think I have one of the "good ones", as it has very manageable intonation and a huge sound for what you'd expect. I recently played ensemble music sitting next to a younger college guy on a PT6. He sounded great. But his fortissimos weren't any bigger than mine 8) I really love this tuba. It's not in the best physical shape, but I plan to save up and shell out the cash to get the bell fixed up nicely, not just local shop repaired. After that money dump, I may look into the MAW valves. No idea if they'll do anything, but since they'll fit anyways I figure I might as well try them.

I'd say try before you buy, but I have liked this horn more than the (singular) 188 I've played. YMMV.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

These are very good tubas! After over 30 years of playing BBb tubas, I decided on a challenge. To learn to play a CC tuba well enough to use in a community concert band. I purchased the Meinl Weston 2145 and was on my way. The horn produces a fairly dark sound and the range is very good. I had the original valves which came with horn and used them for two years before exchanging them for a set of Martin Wilk custom valves which I found I liked much better than the originals. The horn is compact and easy to manage with a good solid tone and the ability to play loudly without breaking up the sound. The horn was very solidly built and I had no issues at all while I owned it. A good 2145 will work very well in nearly all settings as it is small enough for quintet work and large enough as part of a section in a concert band. Good Luck!
Last edited by roughrider on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Aglenntuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Aglenntuba »

bloke wrote:Beyond "none" - with that tuning slide as it is, how much tuning range does the 2145 offer?
I usually sit just past a half inch out. I've had one or two times where I wished I could pull it out a bit further than I could, but thankfully all the way in has never been not enough. Perks of living in Texas I suppose. I wouldn't mind having a bit more room to work, but i'm not sure how plausible that work would be.

This tuba doesnt seem to be as "dependent" on slide lengths as other tubas I've played. If I buzz an A in tune, it will probably come out in tune, and the resonance will only seem to be affected if the slide is 'wrong' by a fair amount. I can even 'waggle' my first valve slide about an inch or so to give a convincing (humorous) trombone slide vibrato effect. I guess this would be a "slotting" effect?
Big Francis
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Francis »

I don’t have enough face time on the Miraphones to give you an informed opinion, but I had a small-valve 2145 that I loved. Intonation was solid, and had a nice, even sound. In 10 year years of playing it, I could count on my thumbs the number of times I felt like it was too small. About the only knock is the absurdly short main tuning slide.

Frank
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Owned 2. One I didn't care for much and pretty promptly sold, but it wasn't as bad as much as it didn't shake hands with me. The other I picked out of a lot of 6 at BBC in May 2002. Great, great, great instrument that I will always regret selling off for something bigger. Had great pitch, even response top to bottom, and played much bigger than its size. The one that got away for me.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Great horns for many applications.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
mjrctuba
bugler
bugler

Post by mjrctuba »

For what it's worth, I have been playing a 2145 as my primary horn since 2001. I've played it in concert bands, quintets, small orchestras, and in more alternative-style groups. It serves me well as an all around horn. There have only been a couple of times in the last 17 years that I've felt I needed a bigger horn. I do have other horns that I use sometimes, but the 2145 is my first choice.

It took me some time to get the intonation just right. The slides are very easily accessible. I find I mostly only ever move the first, third, and rarely the fourth now that I know the horn well.

I very recently switched out the factory valves for MAW valves. I haven't been playing them long enough to give a full review, but I have immediately noticed that the longer valve combinations (2+3, 4, etc.) are much less stuffy.

I have a Reunion Blues gig bag (no wheels) and a giant, wheeled flight case. Neither are just right. I would like an easy-to-wield case with wheels, but I haven't found that.

I don't know the Mirafone well enough to give you a comparison, and I am not necessarily trying to sell you on the Meinl. This is just my take on a horn I know well.

Good luck.
Michael R. Cavitt
President, KentuckyJam.org
Tuba: Ohio Military Band, Cincinnati Civic Orchestra, Vereins-Musikanten
http://www.kentuckyjam.org" target="_blank
http://www.tubadad.com" target="_blank