Would you trust it?

The bulk of the musical talk
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Would you trust it?

Post by Ken Herrick »

the elephant wrote: Or are you trolling again?
SURELY NOT !!!!
Free to tuba: good home
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

$40? Good deal.

Put the passenger on the rack, and you've got an open seat for a tuba.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
paulver

Post by paulver »

I wouldn't put my daughter's original Carl Geyer french horn on any rack on the outside of my car. My daughter wouldn't even allow her horn to be put in the covered bed of my truck! It rides with her wherever she goes.

As a band director, my bands always had vans, trucks, trailers, etc., in which to transport instruments. That being said, if any student had reservations about putting their instrument in any of those, I let them put it in the seat with them on the bus. Value of instrument to owner, is directly related to the care of said instrument.

Chances are that the instrument would be okay on that rack. But........ I wouldn't want to be the one to test it out with my horn. My old tuba isn't worth all that much as it is, but.... I don't have the ready cash to pay for a replacement should anything catastrophic happen to it. I don't even want to have to pay for repairs to it. You know the old saying..... "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!" Like was stated above.....Put the passenger on the rack! They can heal!! :D :D :D I always told my students, and I still tell my daughter....... "If you drop that horn, you'd better hit the floor before it does!!!!!"
Last edited by paulver on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

NEVER, NEVER EVER, NEVER put your axe where it can be rear-ended by some drunk texter. :shock: :shock: :shock:
(unless you're LOOKING for the insurance money without the annoyance of having to sell your horn) 8)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Wes Hardin
lurker
lurker

Post by Wes Hardin »

I would not.

Have a 70lb electric bike that I use to commute to work everyday, from the train. I use a bike rack on the back of my car to transport it to the train station, similar to this.

I bought one that was supposed to handle the weight. It is a little unnerving how much "flop" and side to side motion I see the bike doing when Im driving. The hitch will not keep it as solid as you think it would. I take it on freeways and roads as well.

The biggest concern I have is, I feel that someday Im not going to be as alert as I normally am and forget to cinch it down are strap it in properly and.....watch my bike skipping along the 10 freeway behind me.

Every time someone gets close to the bike and almost rear ends me...I get a little stressed....

I wouldn't do it.
Kalison Daryl Smith 4/4
Yamaha 822 F
Kurath 5/4 C
Nirschl 6/4 York
Mack F PT Clone
Mack 410 C 186 Clone
mjrctuba
bugler
bugler

Post by mjrctuba »

Nope.
Michael R. Cavitt
President, KentuckyJam.org
Tuba: Ohio Military Band, Cincinnati Civic Orchestra, Vereins-Musikanten
http://www.kentuckyjam.org" target="_blank
http://www.tubadad.com" target="_blank
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

:wink: Trust it and carry multiple tubas in gig bags.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I'd consider it the ideal way to free up frozen valves with the least amount of human effort.
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

bloke wrote:
Rivercity Tuba wrote::wink: Trust it and carry multiple tubas in gig bags.
I was considering loading my Thein tubas and cimbassi on it.
Those Thein cases are really pricy - so I haven't bought those yet, but I have some good thick quilts.
Sleeping bags are always a good solution :twisted:
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sushi20j
bugler
bugler

Post by sushi20j »

tofu wrote:Good Grief! That's not where your tuba goes - that's where your mother-in-law goes!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2002 Miraphone 187
1956 Conn 20J
1967 Conn 20J - For Sale
1967 Conn 24J
19?? Universal Eb Sousa
onree
lurker
lurker

Post by onree »

windshieldbug wrote:NEVER, NEVER EVER, NEVER put your axe where it can be rear-ended by some drunk texter. :shock: :shock: :shock:
(unless you're LOOKING for the insurance money without the annoyance of having to sell your horn) 8)
Doesn't even take a texter. Quite a few years ago a friend of mine was driving up I-29 in his mini-van with a couple of double-basses in the back. It was snowing, just starting to turn to ice. He was going pretty slow, sliding all over, and got rear-ended by a Ford pickup, which bumped him forward, the hatch popped up, two basses slid out onto the highway to be run over by the truck.

He did have insurance, and his company then went after the pickup owner.