Pinhole Leak In Leadpipe

The bulk of the musical talk
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Pinhole Leak In Leadpipe

Post by Polkahero »

I just discovered a pinhole in the leadpipe of my vintage Mirafone 186. I know there are several techs on this site and was wondering what your suggestions might be. Is this is something I can address myself with either clear nail polish or a drop of solder, or does this warrant taking the instrument to my local brass tech where he'll probably want me to replace the entire leadpipe as it has pink redrot spots already established?
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Pinhole Leak In Leadpipe

Post by Worth »

Sounds like you are looking at eventual lead pipe replacement. In the meantime, not trying to be facetious, but how about some yellow or silver (depending on tuba finish) electrical tape?
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

bloke wrote:a small dot of two-part epoxy glue, with any lacquer scraped away from the edges of the hole
Will give that a try, happen to have some of that on hand. No, it's not JB Weld!
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

Great idea! Sorry, my suggestion seems lame at this point..... grins
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

I just did this last week—using two-part epoxy glue—on a brass Over The Shoulder (OTS) tuba that got a very small dent on the bottom bow which resulted in a tiny crack. This will keep it sealed until I get time, and, more importantly, my repairman, who is buried in School Summer repair work, can hook up and have him repair and seal correctly.
NEVER use crazy glue, but as Joe said, use the two-part epoxy glue, in a pinch....