Mouthpiece receiver depth on EEb.

The bulk of the musical talk
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Mouthpiece receiver depth on EEb.

Post by iiipopes »

When I had my Besson 3-valve comp with the factory small receiver, my Wick 1 had the .490 tip and fit perfectly, just as Matt Walters describes. All my "American" mouthpieces have exactly the .520 tip and have perfectly fit everything else I have owned: my Bessophone and several souzys over time of various makes.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Sorry, I thought it would be clear enough. I assumed B was a "standard" receiver tuba, wherein a standard American shank fits to the depth that we're accustomed to, but I neglected to say that.
8juxT82x.png
But on reflection ... I was looking for some way to distinguish tuba A's "short" receiver from a "small" receiver, and I guess there really isn't any difference. Tuba A has a "small" receiver, same thing. If all the leadpipes are the same, and the receiver interiors are a continuous uniform taper, length and width aren't independent variables. So my question is not only academic, but it's a branch of academia that is of not so great interest as I imagined.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:and someone could easily mistake that for not being inserted as far
I think I see that, by "as far", you mean relative to the back of the receiver, not the front. We naturally measure the insertion depth from the front, of course, and may not know where the back is (hence the question - without some idea of a normal receiver length, we have no way to distinguish "tuba A" from a small receiver & small leadpipe setup that calls for a smaller shank in order to maintain the prescribed distance to the back end of the receiver.)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:"How much of a (reverse-tapered, compared to the expansion that occurs in the entire remainder of the instrument) receiver's interior is left exposed in front of the choke point" (where the mouthpipe tube begins – as far as most are concerned) is the only significant measurement
So you have measured it! I feel we're getting close!
fsgazda
bugler
bugler

Post by fsgazda »

Out of curiosity I tried a variety of other mouthpieces (including a 24AW, a Canadian Brass Arnold Jacobs, and a Helleberg 7B) and they all sit a bit further out then on my old Conn 5J also (about the same as the Wick 3L).

Talked to my repair tech today. We may go with reaming the receiver (or replacing it if he can find the correct one).

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Dr. Frank Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University

Shires 7YLW F/Gb/D Thayer valve bass trombone, Doug Elliott 112.L.L8
Shires 7YM tenor trombone, DE XT105.G.G8
SE Shires Q41 euphonium, DE XT105.I.I8
Nirschl MWN4 EEb tuba, Canadian Brass AJ