which trombone?

The bulk of the musical talk
jsswadley
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jsswadley »

If you're going to do orchestral playing or any kind of robust volume playing apart from jazz band, a Bach 50B would be the most usual choice, and probably one of the more economical choices. If loud volume is not a consideration then a Conn or Yamaha, or even a used Benge would do quite well. Another nice bass trombone option is a Laetsch or any other of the numerous German trombones available. (Glassl, Juergen Voigt, etc.) These trombones have a bit more of a taper through the bore which makes them slightly conical in feeling, so more similar to a baritone. If money is not a prime consideration, you should get a two-valve setup, because you can't play both the C and B natural below the staff without pulling the tuning slide for the B natural on the one-valve instrument. If you want a tenor instrument, then a Bach 42B would be your prime choice. The Wick 4 will fit any of the two instruments, tenor or bass, although it would be slightly small for a bass trombone. I haven't mentioned Shires or Edwards here because they may be a few more dollars/pounds than a doubler would like to spend. Good luck, John
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: which trombone?

Post by Rick Denney »

Imperial wrote:Which trombone would be the best choice if I wanted one that's similar to my B&H Imperial euphonium with a denis wicl 4am mouthpiece?
Is there any trombone that I could play with the same mouthpiece?
Even if you find a trombone that fits the same mouthpiece, then you'll discover that a trombone requires a very different approach to air movement than a euphonium. The trombone wants faster air with more point to it to get a characteristic sound.

Personally, I think a euphonium is more the analog of a bass trombone than a tenor trombone, even a big one. A tenor trombone seems more the cylindrical equivalent of an English baritone.

I use a deep funnel in my Besson euphonium (a Steven Mead SM4), and a cup-shaped mouthpiece in my trombone (a Bach 6-1/2AL, which is really a bit large for my .5"-bore Conn 48H). The difference between the two is more conceptual than anything. A euphonium mouthpiece in the trombone (I have a Wick 4AY) gets a fuzzy and unclear sound with none of the bright edge that makes a trombone a trombone.

Rick "who thinks Bloke's characterization is right on the mark" Denney
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I will agree with Bloke and Rick. Why get a trombone if you will sound the same as on Euph? Get a Denis Wick 4 mouthpiece with a small shank (don't know the model number) that way the rim is still the same. Then get a smaller bore trombone like a King 3B or Bach 16 or if you want a slightly larger horn try a Bach 36.

Most Euph players I know still sound like euph players when they play trombone. They go with big bore tenor horns or bass bones and still sound like they are playing euphonium. Their tonal concept of the big full euphonium tone carries over tot he trombone playing. I would bet you may have the same tendancy, so a smaller horn will help you differentiate the tone of the two instruments.

Don't get me wrong the euph is a beautiful sounding instrument, but a trombone should not sound like a euph. That is why there are different parts in bannds for euph and trombones, especially british style brass bands. The lead bone player in our brass band plays a Bach 16!

ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Wilco
bugler
bugler

Post by Wilco »

Big difference in blow. I'd recommend a small bore trombone. I played on a YEP621 Euphonium a few weeks ago. Takes - compared with my bach 42B - twice less air. The Euph was like a recorder compared to my large bore tenor....