How to Sound Like a Cello

The bulk of the musical talk
Cobra1502
bugler
bugler

How to Sound Like a Cello

Post by Cobra1502 »

I just heard a euphonium player that made his horn sound almost the same as a cello. At times with my eyes closed I would have thought it was a cello. His attack and articulation mimicked the bow against the strings.

This got me thinking what is he doing to get this sound? Is it a certain articulation or note double stop or ...

Any ideas...
Queen City Brass Band
Miraphone Bb 191-5V
Besson 982
Yamaha Bb 621S
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: How to Sound Like a Cello

Post by TheTuba »

Sounds cool , and can be really entertaining for some audiences.

However, I would rather sound as a tuba than a cello :tuba: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Okay, I'll take the bait.

Q: How to sound like a cello?

A: Play a cello.
Cobra1502
bugler
bugler

Post by Cobra1502 »

Okay I appreciate the responses and opinions received so far. But back to my original question what intonation have people found sounds like a cello.
Queen City Brass Band
Miraphone Bb 191-5V
Besson 982
Yamaha Bb 621S
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Mark wrote:Okay, I'll take the bait.

Q: How to sound like a cello?

Play sharp rather than out of tune... :P
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
proam
bugler
bugler

Post by proam »

Where did you hear this? Live or recording? If a recording, what is it?

Was it a cello piece, like a Bach cello suite, so that the player was purposefully trying to mimic a cello to match the piece?

Whlie there are general thoughts on embouchure and articulation that most all players can use, when it comes to subtleties, it can depend on the individual. You just have to listen closely to a cello then try experimenting and recording yourself to see if you are getting there. What you need to do might be pretty different from what that performer does.

I know of a trumpet player who puts a small metal washer in his mouthpiece to help him get a raspy jazz sound that other players can produce without any “help” like that.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

bloke wrote:reminder:

Millions of Americans can name at least one professional cellist.
Hundreds of Americans can name at least one professional euphonium player.
cello.png

Cue the "how a tuba player sees himself, how everyone else sees him/how a euph player sees himself, how everyone else sees him" comic!
Cobra1502
bugler
bugler

Post by Cobra1502 »

It was a live performance of Bach’s Cello suite.
Queen City Brass Band
Miraphone Bb 191-5V
Besson 982
Yamaha Bb 621S
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

perhaps it was the use of vibrato? string players tend to use more vibrato than brass players (although English players, especially in brass bands do use a wider vibrato that us Americans)..
Listen to a cellist's vibrato and try to imitate it...

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
proam
bugler
bugler

Post by proam »

I haven’t listened to the cello suites recently and have only worked on trying to play an arrangement of the first one.

I don’t recall much strong articulation in these. The notes are just there, especially large jumps that a stringed instrument can execute so efficiently. When the suites go down to the lower notes, I seem to remember the cellist really leaning into those, making the string kind of growl, and lingering slightly longer on them. Low notes longer and full, higher notes light.

You won’t find any aggressively short notes in The Bach cello suites. There are light, dance-y notes and full bodied notes. This is also just part of how a cello is; how the strings behave by nature.

I would say try to avoid any harsh articulation - your notes are just “there”. Think about low notes as being a long, resonant string and higher notes as a lighter string.

Think about the cello and how its build makes it behave the way it does. Try to make your instrument behave with those limiting parameters in mind. Become the cello, I guess ... (geesh).

All of this is probably worth only the paper it is written on ...
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Just like sounding like a string bass.... the secret is to develop the attack and the decay.

I'm pretty good at it. But why?

If I really wanted to sound like a stringed instrument... I should play a stringed instrument.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

Here's an actual answer!

There is a technique to get a fuzzy, airy, reedy sound on brass. You might hear it on trumpet, and I learned it from a famous trumpeter, Bobby Shew, on ballads. Chet Baker, too? I use it on trombone, on a solo like Body and Soul. Sax players do this, check out Lester Young.

Basically, listen a ton to Cellists! playing this music and stop listening to brass players for a while. I think brass players in general need to reprogram their concept of piece, like Bach suites. Then,...
  • 1. Lessen the volume of air you're moving by giving less support from diaphragm and elasticity of your lungs. To me, this feels a bit like blowing a warm "Huuuuh" instead of "Hooooo". Yes, this will make you go flat a little...
    2. And you might feel like you widen your lip aperture...a bit. Okay...
    3. But tense the supporting muscles just a bit to lip the note back into pitch. Use a tuner.
    4. I think good advice above about adjusting the articulation to be softer. No real "T". More soft "da", like a trombone player does on almost all legato notes, or even imagine a "thuh" tonguing, especially on the cello down bow, like first beat of each phrase at the start of a Bach cello suite.
    thuh da di da di da, thuh da di da di da". And good advice on paying attention to the decay of notes.
    5. Analyze the music in terms of bowing. You'll have down bows and up bows at starts of phrases, shifting strings (which is starting a new string to vibrate), and sequences of notes slurred on the same string with the bow traveling in one direction, and detache where the bow changes direction on each note sometimes or the bow stops but moves in the same direction sometimes. If the bow changes directions or string, you articulate for sure, and I'd guess you might lightly articulate a lot more notes than the slurs in the music would indicate
I would do this on long tones first, without any articulation, with a breath attack (no tongue), then simple exercises on repeated notes, for example, to experiment with attacks and releases and decay.
I would always end a practice session with playing normal high quality, well supported tone to teach the brain/body how to return to normal playing after using this technique. So it because a tool in your arsenal, not a new habit.

If you'd want to try mutes, I'd try a cup mute or bucket mute (New York trombone players use a beret hat, easier to carry), rather than a straight mute, but I think that's not the right direction, practically. That's a solution if you're covering a cello part in a pit orchestra or something.
Good luck, and maybe post your results!
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
Cobra1502
bugler
bugler

Post by Cobra1502 »

Thanks for the thorough answer. I will give it a try.
Queen City Brass Band
Miraphone Bb 191-5V
Besson 982
Yamaha Bb 621S
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Cobra1502 wrote:I just heard a euphonium player that made his horn sound almost the same as a cello. At times with my eyes closed I would have thought it was a cello. His attack and articulation mimicked the bow against the strings.

This got me thinking what is he doing to get this sound? Is it a certain articulation or note double stop or ...

Any ideas...
Your sound is determined by a variety of things. Often overlooked is your concept of sound. When you look at euphonium music, what do you hear? That's likely what you sound like.

You can cultivate a new sound by spending time listening to a sound you want to copy and actively imagining that sound in your head. No, it won't happen by magic, it won't happen fast but your sound will change. This is a basic principle that Arnold Jacobs' students all heard many times.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.