traveling to Australia with a CC tuba. Ship or rent? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

traveling to Australia with a CC tuba. Ship or rent?

Postby chaspol » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:35 pm

My son is traveling to Sydney, Australia for an high school honors performance in a couple of weeks and judging from our past experience, the airlines can be quite unpredictable in how they charge for checking a tuba. Our last trip from LA to Boulder, CO, United wanted to charge $425 initially and went down to $325. On the next leg after much haggling, we worked them down to $125.

Is there an advantage to shipping ahead of time, especially on an international trip? And what are the names of alternative carriers?

I'm open to rentals, but all I could find were longer term rentals and only for BBb tubas.

Thanks!

Charley
Last edited by chaspol on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Re: traveling overseas with a tuba

Postby bloke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Particularly if your personally-owned tuba is
- a nice make/model
- in good condition
- your own personal property
Very seriously consider pursuing renting a Jinbao 400, Jinbao 210, or Yamaha 321, etc. BBb tuba from a local Aussie music store...OR from some Aussie on TubeNet or facebook Tuba/Euphonium that has a spare not-super-professional-grade BBb tuba with which they might entrust a young person in exchange from some $$$'s.

From a realistic perspective, the primary purpose of such trips - as well as student "honor" organizations - is not so much "to achieve artistic triumphs", but more to attract students and their parents to "a trip to __________" as well as other reasons.
Those suggested makes/models of tubas will all be fine...as well as (obviously) King, Miraphone, Meinl-Weston, and quite a few others.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby TheGoyWonder » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:46 pm

They have tuba players in australia.
you can probably hire one for like $50.
that is way cheaper.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Postby chaspol » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks Bloke! I started to look into that before I posted (and failed to mention that he has a Miraphone CC Bruckner), but I could only find BBb tubas and they were for longer term rentals. Any Aussie locals are also welcome to pipe in!
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Postby bloke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:53 pm

chaspol wrote:Thanks Bloke! I started to look into that before I posted (and failed to mention that he has a Miraphone CC Bruckner), but I could only find BBb tubas and they were for longer term rentals. Any Aussie locals are also welcome to pipe in!

That's W-A-Y too expensive a tuba to throw on to conveyor belts, throw underneath an airliner, and to throw out of an airliner on to tarmac. :|

There's over a 99% chance that your son played BBb tubas for several years, and still does at school in the fall..and (possibly) in school all year long.
A good-playing BBb tuba will suit him just fine at the event, and the likelihood that any C-length tubas would be available for loan or lease is low. Finally, if your son tells you that "he just can't use a BBb tuba", your correct reply is, "Wrong".
bloke

Re: traveling to Australia with a CC tuba. Ship or rent?

Postby Patrase » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:15 pm

If you want to get in contact with us Aussie's search for the Australian tuba players Facebook page, ask to join and put up a post. I have been told the Sydney Conservatorium has a PT6 tuba. You might be able to rent that. But I couldn't say for sure as I have no connection with them. It might also help to say who your sons teacher is as your teacher might have a connection with some Sydney locals.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Postby chaspol » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks, Patrase! Will do. BTW, his teacher is P Blake Cooper - I will note that on the Facebook request.
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Postby Ken Herrick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Try contacting Steve Rosse, principal tuba with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. He is a great guy and may be able and willing to help you out.

+61 2 9351 1348
Email
steven.rosse@sydney.edu.au

Be quick. Rentals are not common thing here and shipping it by air will be expensive and risky.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby chaspol » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks Ken! Looks like he is on vacation till July 11 tho.
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Postby pauvog1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:41 am

I'd just rent a BBb and call it a day. I did something very similar in hs, and we found BBb and Eb tubas. You might reach out to a couple local stores in the area and see of they can help. You're more likely to find a good BBb than any CC. I would not ship my personal horn.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)

FS: Stofer Geib, Euro shank viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88053
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Ken Herrick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:54 pm

I'll try to Contact Steve via the SSO. He would be playing concerts this week. He would be on school holidays break from the conservatory for a couple weeks. I'll PM you as soon as I hear something.

You might get very lucky and find a private person (not music store) who would help out. Rentals would likely be a very slim chance otherwise.

If you have to fly the instrument you would need a very good case and probably book it as priority cargo to go on the same flight.

Will pursue possibilities here.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Alex C » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Good luck renting a tuba, seriously. I would not ship under any circumstances.

The last tuba I had shipped was taken from the case by a TSA inspector who removed all the slides and the packing I carefully inserted into the bell, then dropped the horn on the side of the flight case leaving a 2" deep crease. All that was compounded by various dents and scratches caused by loose tuning slides rattling around with the additional bell material deforming the bell. Yes, the slides were also dented.

I got nothing from the airline. Nothing. I repaired the horn "well enough" for a high school band and sold it, loosing about a thousand dollars.
I am surprised the band he is traveling with hasn't encountered this issue before and come up with a solution. Pretty sloppy on their part.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 am

Please read Alex's post.
Some or our posts are bluntly-worded (including mine), but are written that way in order to be read as URGENTLY and REALISTICALLY helpful.
bloke

Postby pauvog1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:40 am

Alex C wrote:Good luck renting a tuba, seriously. I would not ship under any circumstances.

The last tuba I had shipped was taken from the case by a TSA inspector who removed...

I've had TSA damage issues flying with a tuba as well. To the OP, it really is not worth the risk, especially with such an expensive horn.

Renting a horn there is probably the best option.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)

FS: Stofer Geib, Euro shank viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88053
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby chaspol » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks for all of the replies! I am now looking into renting either a CC (if available) or a BBb and he will prepare in the appropriate key.
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Return to TubeNet