Valve Fabricators? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Valve Fabricators?

Postby Gongadin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:30 pm

I've read posts in the past that have mentioned people who fabricate valves from scratch, but I do not know who's currently active in this pursuit. I have a Jumbo sousaphone that needs a set of three valves made from scratch. The other option is to have a set copied from a set to which I have access.
I would appreciate any leads as to who still does this - if you need me to pm you for the info that's fine too.
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Valve Fabricators?

Postby bloke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:02 pm

Gongadin wrote:I've read posts in the past that have mentioned people who fabricate valves from scratch, but I do not know who's currently active in this pursuit. I have a Jumbo sousaphone that needs a set of three valves made from scratch. The other option is to have a set copied from a set to which I have access.
I would appreciate any leads as to who still does this - if you need me to pm you for the info that's fine too.

Honestly, it would probably be less expensive to buy a badly-distressed old .750" bore Bohm & Meinl 4-piston BBb front-action concert tuba, take its valveset, make needed alterations, and reBay what's left of the tuba. No...It wouldn't be "original", but neither would be your fabricated pistons.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Schlepporello » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:04 pm

bloke wrote:
Gongadin wrote:I've read posts in the past that have mentioned people who fabricate valves from scratch, but I do not know who's currently active in this pursuit. I have a Jumbo sousaphone that needs a set of three valves made from scratch. The other option is to have a set copied from a set to which I have access.

Honestly, it would probably be less expensive to buy a badly-distressed old .750" bore Bohm & Meinl 4-piston BBb front-action concert tuba, take its valveset, make needed alterations, and reBay what's left of the tuba. No...It wouldn't be "original", but neither would be your fabricated pistons.

Where's my "Like" button?
I'm just crazy about dementia.
BBb Helicon built by Harvey Hartman (for sale)
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Conn 20K Sousaphone (no worky)
Frank Holton Sousaphone (no valve cluster)
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby windshieldbug » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Schlepporello wrote:
bloke wrote:

Where's my "Like" button?

8)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby Gongadin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:04 am

Thanks, Bloke, but I'm trying to avoid replacing the valve section. If that becomes necessary, do you have the suggested B&M .750 section? :?
Okay, back to the original question. There's Martin Wilk, and...?
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bort » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:50 am

Dan Oberloh might know something...?
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby PMeuph » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:37 am

There's a guy named Nate Griffith who reportedly makes valves.

I've never used him but remember his name coming up in several threads, including this one:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83319
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Gongadin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:48 am

PMeuph wrote:There's a guy named Nate Griffith who reportedly makes valves.

I've never used him but remember his name coming up in several threads, including this one:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83319" target="_blank" target="_blank

Thanks - I've tried sending an email to him in the past, but the address bounces back. Am trying to track down current info now via Google.
Last edited by Gongadin on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Postby lost » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:57 am

My jumbo raincatcher has a 20k valveset on it and plays way better than the original 46k. You'll be glad you did it!
lost

Postby Gongadin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 am

lost wrote:My jumbo raincatcher has a 20k valveset on it and plays way better than the original 46k. You'll be glad you did it!

Thanks, but for the time being we're trying to avoid replacing the valve section. Yours would have been a 42K, most likely, and not a 46K. :wink:
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Postby lost » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 am

I meant the 46k i have in addition to the raincatcher.
lost

Postby lost » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 am

And as a collector who like to keep it original, i know you want those valves. Just sayin, the original is not always the best. Talk to Martin Wilk. He can help with the valves.
lost

Postby Daniel C. Oberloh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 pm

I can and have made pistons.

Dan'l
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Dan Schultz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:28 am

Gongadin wrote:
PMeuph wrote:There's a guy named Nate Griffith who reportedly makes valves.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83319" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Thanks - I've tried sending an email to him in the past, but the address bounces back. Am trying to track down current info now via Google.

I have his current contact information but I'd rather not post it publicly. Send me an email or private message and I'll share what I know.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Bohm & Meinl helicon, Marzan euph, King 2341, Alphorn, etc.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby TheBerlinerTuba » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 am

I second Dan Oberloh.
http://www.oberloh.com
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Return to TubeNet