Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil?

Postby Doc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:17 am

What’s the latest consensus on the best petroleum-based non-synthetic (won’t gum up the works) valve oil?
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
User avatar
Doc
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:09 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil?

Postby hup_d_dup » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 am

Doc wrote:What’s the latest consensus on the best petroleum-based non-synthetic (won’t gum up the works) valve oil?


My own individual consensus is lamp oil. Everyone else has their own consensus.

Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Tewksbury, NJ

Re: Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil?

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:21 am

most any, including what I use - which is lamp oil.

The important thing to do is to avoid putting oil that is too thick in an instrument, as it takes more time than one would expect to thin it out, and the thick oil tends to migrate to nearby ports, and then run back and recontaminate the proper thin oil.
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 41795
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil?

Postby Doc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:36 am

All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
User avatar
Doc
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:09 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil?

Postby Donn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:26 am

I use Lamplight "Ultrapure", apparently same as the 2nd link but in a clear plastic bottle. I can't smell it, and my nose seems to be as good as anyone else's.

It's difficult to be precise with the terminology. All three of these are, I think, mineral oil, and probably paraffinic. The mineral oil you might get at the drug store is likely too thick, but who knows about this stuff - what's it for? In the US, "paraffin" is usually used for a hard mineral wax, which troubles us some as we wonder if that's where those thick waxy deposits came from (NB, mostly not in my own instruments), but if it's that thin at room temperature, it isn't a wax and won't become a wax. Lamp oil could be all kinds of stuff, from rendered sheep fat to alcohol, but kerosene is fairly common.

I am kind of guessing, but I think purity (as in "Ultrapure", and mineral oil is graded by purity) is connected with odor. Pure must mean "composed of hydrocarbons of a very small range of chain lengths", where impure has a wider range of molecule sizes and possibly some cyclics.

[By the way, I mix it with motor oil.]
User avatar
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor
 
Posts: 5296
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Seattle, ☯

Re: Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil?

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:32 am

The lowest price I've found (and I'm not an Amazon whatchcallit special customer) is to buy two huge jugs (which bumps the cost up to free shipping) and the price ends up being c. 20c/oz.

The price/quantity allow me to use it generously, and for "flushing"...which I would not want to be doing with something for which I paid c. $5/oz.

I don't drink it, and I don't get "high" from odors (which I don't smell, as long as the stuff isn't ancient)...so I don't much care what it is (apparently, it's OK for BURNING in an ENCLOSED ROOM)...and I ain't no chemist, anyway.
Last edited by bloke on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 41795
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil?

Postby Doc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:32 am

Donn wrote:I use Lamplight "Ultrapure", apparently same as the 2nd link but in a clear plastic bottle. I can't smell it, and my nose seems to be as good as anyone else's.

It's difficult to be precise with the terminology. All three of these are, I think, mineral oil, and probably paraffinic. The mineral oil you might get at the drug store is likely too thick, but who knows about this stuff - what's it for? In the US, "paraffin" is usually used for a hard mineral wax, which troubles us some as we wonder if that's where those thick waxy deposits came from (NB, mostly not in my own instruments), but if it's that thin at room temperature, it isn't a wax and won't become a wax. Lamp oil could be all kinds of stuff, from rendered sheep fat to alcohol, but kerosene is fairly common.

I am kind of guessing, but I think purity (as in "Ultrapure", and mineral oil is graded by purity) is connected with odor. Pure must mean "composed of hydrocarbons of a very small range of chain lengths", where impure has a wider range of molecule sizes and possibly some cyclics.


You confirmed what I have read so far. Still reading about the different talk about cyclics, molecular structure, alkalines, grades of distillates (I like science), but I certainly don't need to master the science for the stuff to work. Thanks!
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
User avatar
Doc
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:09 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Best natural/non-synthetic valve oil?

Postby Doc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:34 am

bloke wrote:The lowest price I've found (and I'm not an Amazon whatchcallit special customer) is to buy two huge jugs (which bumps the cost up to free shipping) and the price ends up being c. 20c/oz.

The price/quantity allow me to use it generously, and for "flushing"...which I would not want to be doing with something for which I paid c. $5/oz.


Duly noted, sir.

Doc (one of those Amazon whatchamacallits)
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
User avatar
Doc
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:09 am
Location: South Texas


Return to TubeNet

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests