How long do you practice per day? If at all? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

How long do you practice per day? If at all?

1 hour
16%
2 hours
18%
3 hours
1%
4+ hours
7%
I dont practice every day
21%
I practice only on weekends
1%
I only practice when I have to
15%
I dont
7%
I drink beer
12%

Total votes : 67

How long do you practice per day? If at all?

Postby ren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 am

Practice time is a corollary requirement to success but its not linear in terms of achievement or mastery.
Since we all have different teachers, differents amount of innate talent, and other life requirements outside of music,
it's interesting to know even from professionals, how much do you practice?

Also please answer with what you actually do and not what you think is a good idea.
ren

Re: How long do you practice per day? If at all?

Postby TheTuba » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 am

I *think* I have a lot of talent (but that's really up to the TNFJ lol :lol: )
Talent>no work
Hard work>talent
Hard work sometimes makes talent
Hard work+talent>hard work
However that does not mean I kill my face for 4+ hours a day, daily, unless it's a job, but even then, you should take some break, to whoever chose that option
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Bnich93 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 am

TheTuba wrote:I *think* I have a lot of talent (but that's really up to the TNFJ lol :lol: )
Talent>no work
Hard work>talent
Hard work sometimes makes talent
Hard work+talent>hard work
However that does not mean I kill my face for 4+ hours a day, daily, unless it's a job, but even then, you should take some break, to whoever chose that option

I don't believe in talent or natural ability. Humans were not playing tubas when they were hunter gatherers on the African plains. It's an acquired skill which needs to be practiced and exercised to form the physical musculature and mental connections. It pains me when somebody tells me that they wish they could play an instrument, but can't because they aren't talented in music. Just put in a bit of work and reap the benefits, music is awesome and making it is even cooler so I think everyone can and should give it a shot.
2008 Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
1990s Mirafone 181 F w/Parker Cantabile 3 piece
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 am

this:

Bnich93 wrote:I don't believe in talent or natural ability. Humans were not playing tubas when they were hunter gatherers on the African plains. It's an acquired skill which needs to be practiced and exercised to form the physical musculature and mental connections. It pains me when somebody tells me that they wish they could play an instrument, but can't because they aren't talented in music. Just put in a bit of work and reap the benefits, music is awesome and making it is even cooler so I think everyone can and should give it a shot.

...if not 100% accurate, then 90% accurate
Those who see their current ability levels as less than someone's else current ability levels - and ~mostly~ credit that to "natural ability" - are in denial of the amount of work that others have done. This is similar to the "they have more money than me" thing...and yes, as far as "investing the money which was gained by hard work" is concerned, the "investing" part can be some of the very hardest work of all, as it involves tremendous research, tremendous discipline, and a tremendous amount of delay of gratification.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Doc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:05 pm

bloke wrote:this:

Bnich93 wrote:I don't believe in talent or natural ability. Humans were not playing tubas when they were hunter gatherers on the African plains. It's an acquired skill which needs to be practiced and exercised to form the physical musculature and mental connections. It pains me when somebody tells me that they wish they could play an instrument, but can't because they aren't talented in music. Just put in a bit of work and reap the benefits, music is awesome and making it is even cooler so I think everyone can and should give it a shot.

...if not 100% accurate, then 90% accurate
Those who see their current ability levels as less than someone's else current ability levels - and ~mostly~ credit that to "natural ability" - are in denial of the amount of work that others have done. This is similar to the "they have more money than me" thing...and yes, as far as "investing the money which was gained by hard work" is concerned, the "investing" part can be some of the very hardest work of all, as it involves tremendous research, tremendous discipline, and a tremendous amount of delay of gratification.

I have seen some young players who seem to be a fish out of water when it comes to "picking up" the tuba, whereas some players adapt to it and get going fairly quickly. Are there some proclivities, hard-wiring, whatever that might make it easier AT FIRST? Possibly, but even some of those might well be attributed to other previous experiences, life-training, environmental influences... blah blah blah. I've seen the "not-so-talented" kid work hard and excel, and I've seen the "natural ability" kid try to coast and make it on his "ability" alone and fail miserably.

There never has been, isn't now, nor ever will be a substitute for thoughtful, dedicated, hard work. If the music thing comes easy to someone (regardless of reason), if they step on the gas with a good work ethic, reaching goals is going to be a waaaaaaay less problematic than it will be for the "that guy has more natural talent than I do" excuse-maker. If someone doesn't have that "natural talent" coming out of his ears, but he works diligently, he can enjoy success as well.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 pm

I was a terrible beginning guitar player and a terrible beginning tuba player.
At age 15, I began playing solo gigs on the guitar at cocktail parties (unbeknownst to my parents).
Later in my teens, I was paid (adjusted for inflation) $4000 (2018 dollars) to record a Christmas l.p. (tuba) at Ardent Studios in Memphis.
yes...
I spent a whole bunch of time working to overcome my deficiencies, and deemed that work as easier than working at the Exxon car wash a block away from my parents' house.
bloke

Postby Stryk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:26 pm

bloke wrote:Later in my teens, I was paid (adjusted for inflation) $4000 (2018 dollars) to record a Christmas l.p.

Was that you on "Tiny Piney the Christmas Tree" by Bert Murray? :tuba:
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby Ken Crawford » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:10 pm

If you are a tuba hobbyist, which is a great number of those on Tubenet, I've found that getting in as little as 15 minutes a day, consistently, on a daily basis, is vastly better than not playing for a week or more.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Stryk wrote:
bloke wrote:Later in my teens, I was paid (adjusted for inflation) $4000 (2018 dollars) to record a Christmas l.p.

Was that you on "Tiny Piney the Christmas Tree" by Bert Murray? :tuba:

I suspect the guy who created the character, wrote the story, and hired someone to compose the music was a big coke-head (though I do not-at-all know this to be a fact, and nor do I have any evidence of it whatsoever). You might be able to partially guess, now, at the l.p.'s title.
bloke

Postby Stryk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:21 pm

I just want to add that I practice not so much to be better, but for my health. Long story, but I credit playing the tuba for saving my life.
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby SteveP » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 pm

I only practice when I really have to and, yeah, I drink a lotta beer. I play ok but could be better with practice. I can definitely see a correlation.
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (tuba/board/treasurer)
Lake Havasu Symphonic Winds (board/treasurer)
SteveP
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet