K&M Stands Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

K&M Stands

Postby thebrandyman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I am having a little bit of trouble with my K&M stand. Has the stand design changed?

I am attempting to use it for my PCK, but the tuba actually sits too high. I would have to considerably lean it back to play. I don't think it's the standing model, as then the stand sits too short. I’m about 5’9, so I'm not terribly short or tall.

I have checked the box and my order summary and both receipts say that it is the sitting stand.

Does anyone know anything, or know how I can cheat around it to make it lower? It's currently at the lowest setting without the legs flying up in the air.
Last edited by thebrandyman on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebrandyman
bugler
bugler

Re: K&M Sitting Stands too High???

Postby pecktime » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:26 pm

I miss the old wwbw and their amazing mail order catalogues.
MW 3450, 2011FA HoJo, Conn 20J
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:35 pm

I might possibly (??) be that - up where you live - the floors are just not low enough. :| :wink:

I have an old one in really good shape. I bought it when everyone was first (years ago) talking these things up, here.
To me, they are a nuisance. This older one seems (??) capable of being lowered plenty low.
I do not have time to fool with mailing it, right now, but (after I get through a ton of work) you could discuss buying it from me (selling yours to someone else, I'd guess...??)
It's currently lowering my standard of living (i.e. "taking up space").
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby the elephant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Hey, man. I was just interacting with you on FB. You stated the lowest height is 17" in a comment to me. The average height of the top of a chair seat is between 18 and 20 inches off the floor. (they slop, generally, but the front edge is generally about 20" high).

This would place your bottom bow up to three inches below the chair seat, and certainly not above it. So how is this a tuba stand made for playing while standing, which would need to be between 36" and 50" to fit most folks.

I am not getting why 17" is too tall for you and your tuba when you are the very decent height of 5'9"...

To use my tuba stand while seated my bottom bow needs to be about 30" off the floor as I have a very long spine. Most stands will not work for me because they are way too short.

Can you post a photo of you using the stand? I know this is not what you care about, that you want to sell it, but showing what you are talking about fills in details that you can use in your ad to sell it faster and without a lot of questions. The photos will help us figure out what the deal is, and they can be used in the ad to better explain your description on that FB page.

Personally I think it is a normal stand for playing while seated. (Or was the 17" description in your FB comment a typo, maybe? Just trying to help, man.)

Best of luck selling this.

Wade
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby thebrandyman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Wade,

Absolutely. Apologies about any confusion this may be causing, as I’m quite confused on what is going on myself frankly, since these stands have worked for me before. Regarding the height, it is 17 inches, yes.

I can have a picture up on Facebook, and here soon.
Last edited by thebrandyman on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thebrandyman
bugler
bugler

Postby thebrandyman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 pm

I sent over a picture of my point of view utilizing the stand. I tried to position the camera in front of my face, therefore, the center of the photo is where my lips would be. I’m sitting on a normal Wenger chair.
Last edited by thebrandyman on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thebrandyman
bugler
bugler

Postby MikeMason » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

After using playing stands for 10+ years, maybe 15, My playing life is much better with sticky dash pads. Just to provide an option. Thanks to Chris Olka for the idea.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Wisemann 900c with original heavyweight bayamo
Yamaha yfb621 with original heavyweight manatuska
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby the elephant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Hmm...

Not to be a PITA, but can you (perhaps later) post a photo taken by someone else that shows you, the stand and the tuba from the side? IM am interested to see how you are sitting and how tall the tuba is. Won't help sell anything, but it might at least clear up what is going on. If your tuba is a couple of inches below the top of your seat and you are sitting correctly, at 5'9" you should be fine. I don't get it.

Post the pic if you can get someone kind enough to come in and snap one. :tuba:
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby thebrandyman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:24 am

Absolutely, no problem at all. It may be a bit tough since no one is in the city currently, but if I happen to find someone roaming around the studio later today, then absolutely. If not, I can take a video and screenshot a frame.

Bloke, thank you for letting me know. If it’s alright, I would like to find a potential solution and or explanation to this. If I still can’t get anything out of this, we can certainly talk.
Last edited by thebrandyman on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebrandyman
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:43 am

My Baltimore Brass stand was too short for me. (The mouthpiece came up to the base of my neck.)

I went to Home Depot and bought some black iron pipe of the same OD. I cut it to the length I needed, finished both ends nicely, then transferred all the hardware to the new pipe. Now it is perfect for me.

Of course, once I got it to do what I needed it to do I learned that I really hate using a tuba stand, so it has sat in a closet for about 10 years, now. <sigh> :lol:
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby scottw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:59 am

Not sure if it is germane to this discussion, but, when I used the K&M stand [for a couple years before I got the BB stand], I had to cut off a little more than an inch in order to make it low enough for sitting and playing. I am 5'10", but the leadpipe on my 186 is too low for the regular K&M stand.
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Return to TubeNet