What is the key of your primary instrument? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Tuba players...what is the key of your primary instrument?

BBb
32%
CC
34%
Eb
24%
F
9%

Total votes : 152

What is the key of your primary instrument?

Postby Casca Grossa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Choose the key of your primary tuba. GO
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Lignatone Eb "Charlene"
Blokepiece Solo
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Re: What is the key of your primary instrument?

Postby Schlepporello » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:01 pm

For me, it's BBb or nuthin'. I tried to do EEb for a little while, but then I recovered.
I'm just crazy about dementia.
BBb Helicon built by Harvey Hartman (for sale)
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Conn 20K Sousaphone (no worky)
Frank Holton Sousaphone (no valve cluster)
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 pm

I practice mostly on CC, but I have two contracts with the orchestra, one of them being the fill time brass quintet. I also play in an unofficial symphony quintet from the years before the MSO started our chamber ensembles. Most of my freelance work is on the F, too. So I am a CC player but end up playing the F a lot more in my daily life.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby TheTuba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 am

If I like tuba, does that mean that tuba likes me?

OBVIOUSLY, BBbis the best kind of tuba you can find out there!
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby smitwill1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 am

I know there are people who say they sound “bland” or “vanilla”, but I like my YFB 822. It lets me sound like I did on my old Mirafone 185 CC, but slots in like I practice more than I get to these days.
B&S PT-4P
Yamaha YFB-822
Yamaha YEP-321
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Postby groth » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 am

TheTuba wrote:If I like tuba, does that mean that tuba likes me?

OBVIOUSLY, BBbis the best kind of tuba you can find out there!

I also agree, for 95% of the tubists out there who are NOT "Pro Orchestral" players...this means they are playing roots/jazz music or community band literature that is written for BBb tuba. Some of the most successful tuba players I know did it with 3 valve BBb horns in the jazz world go figure.
202N 4-Valve Rotary Tuba
76' Precision Bass Guitar
groth
bugler
bugler

Postby TUbajohn20J » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:26 am

Have owned 6 tubas in my lifetime and all of them were BBb. From 3/4 to 6/4 size.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TheTuba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 am

TUbajohn20J wrote:Have owned 6 tubas in my lifetime and all of them were BBb. From 3/4 to 6/4 size.

Whoah!
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby opus37 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:51 am

In high school, I was upgraded from cornet to BBb tuba, because that's all the school had. After a 10 year sabbatical from tuba (life got in the way) my wife purchased an Eb at an auction for $20. I have been playing Eb ever since and found it to do it all for what I play, including concert and marching bands, solos, quintet and orchestra.
Brian
1893 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
2017 Wessex BR140 Baritone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Postby groth » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:09 am

TheTuba wrote:
TUbajohn20J wrote:Have owned 6 tubas in my lifetime and all of them were BBb. From 3/4 to 6/4 size.

Whoah!

I have that beat by a mile. Since picking up the horn again back in late 2013 I've owned 18 horns (all BBb) trying to find the right fit for my playing style. Either they are just clunkers or too stuffy of a newer chinese model. Ended up with what I have now and enjoy it. :lol:
202N 4-Valve Rotary Tuba
76' Precision Bass Guitar
groth
bugler
bugler

Postby iiipopes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 am

I am a community concert band and occasional other gigs player. See my signature and the thread on my Bessophone.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby Leland » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:59 am

"Other"

I own two BBbs and a trombone, but made my money on a military-issued G contrabass bugle. (technically "GG", I guess, since it's pitched lower than a BBb)
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Postby lost » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am

So nice to see a renaissance of board polls lately. I feel like this is another permutation of BBb vs. CC.

But sometimes a good book is always worth another read....or 10.
lost

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 am

For several years, I only owned an F tuba...which is why I tend to view myself as an "F tuba player". If a page of music is really black, and I have to read it (particularly if quintet music) the F tuba is my strongest read.

Back in the early 80's, I grew weary of the selection of C tubas offered during that era that - at that time...most of them - were all quite a bit of work to play in tune...so I sold the last two that I had (both of which offered those types of challenges) and just used my F tuba.
I had bought a 186, but it was only a 4-valve and the low range was challenging. I later bought a 188, but (though good intonation, as with the 186...actually better intonation than the 186) it was about the worst 188 - response-wise - that I've ever encountered...as - subsequently playing others - ALL others are better instruments than that particular 188. (It was new, and another player in California had ordered/tested/rejected it. Alarm bells should have rung, but...)
I suspect that - had I bought a 5-valve 186 or a BETTER 188, I would have kept it for quite a while, rather than trying C-tuba-after-C-tuba-after-C-tuba (seemingly, with worse-and-worse-and-worse intonation characteristics).
Still to this day, some new models are C tubas are marketed which offer challenging intonation, but some others are now offered which are easy to play in tune, and with even response...

...and I only recently discovered how close-to-in-tune is the offered intonation of many of the better compensating Eb tubas.

bloke "who tries to play in tune."
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Bnich93 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:10 am

I used to consider myself an F tuba player, because during my undergraduate I focused a lot of energy into playing quintet, quartet, and solo repertoire. My CC really only saw active duty in the Symphony Orchestra, but then I started realizing that my PT-4 was miraculously in tune compared to my Mira"f"one 181 and so I used that for chamber groups. Now that I have realized that the only chance I have for future musical employment is going to involve my CC playing more so than F, I consider myself a CC player.

I read equally well on both, and I enjoy both for different reasons, but I want to get them sweet sweet gigs so CC is where I live.
2008 Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
1990s Mirafone 181 F w/Parker Cantabile 3 piece
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 am

Schlepporello wrote:For me, it's BBb or nuthin'. I tried to do EEb for a little while, but then I recovered.

You said it, Brother!!

It’s B-flat or no-flat. :tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Bnich93 wrote:I used to consider myself an F tuba player, because during my undergraduate I focused a lot of energy into playing quintet, quartet, and solo repertoire. My CC really only saw active duty in the Symphony Orchestra, but then I started realizing that my PT-4 was miraculously in tune compared to my Mira"f"one 181 and so I used that for chamber groups. Now that I have realized that the only chance I have for future musical employment is going to involve my CC playing more so than F, I consider myself a CC player.

I read equally well on both, and I enjoy both for different reasons, but I want to get them sweet sweet gigs so CC is where I live.

When I have time to practice, I tend to practice about 60% F, 30% C, 5% cimbasso, and (ok...what's left over...??) 2.5% each on Eb (which gets a decent - and funded - workout most Saturday mornings anyway) and euphonium (the two 3+1 config' instruments). Obviously, those proportions will be tilted this-way-or-that depending on what's scheduled, but the F tuba playing (I believe) helps keep my playing contained/focused/refined...and nope, I'm not any sort of F tuba snob. I use everything I own when it's time to use it, and nope, I know there are Bb/Eb players out there who can easily play circles around me.

more candidness about reading:
Extremely hectic low-range playing on the 6-valve F tuba can be a little but knuckle-busting (as with the lowest range on the bassoon), so I have to make a decision whether to practice such passages like crazy on the F tuba (when such are rarely encountered) or pick up the C instrument. A couple of examples (which come to mind) of 6v F tuba knuckle busters include the first movement in Jack Gale's "West Side Story" brass quintet medley (which probably comes off better on a larger tuba anyway), and a couple of passages from the old warhorse, the "Quintet" by Arnold...which - truth be told - is probably easiest played on a Bb tuba...
Were someone to program the Arnold and contract me to play it, would I go to my buddy (who lives about twenty miles away on 50 mph rural roads...i.e. only 30 minutes away) and borrow his "new style" King 2341 (which I tricked out for him a few years ago)? yes...I believe I would.
bloke

Postby Teubonium » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Playing my Eb in a British brass band. If I were playing tuba in a concert band (not right now) I would use my BBb.

I don't do orchestras, get tired of counting rests!

:tuba:
Bach Strad 36BO Sakbutt
Besson 967 Euph
MW2141 Eb
Kanstul 33s BBb
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Postby PlayTheTuba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 pm

BBb is my primary instrument.
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Three Valves wrote:
It’s B-flat or no-flat. :tuba:

So it’s B-flat or C?
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet