Does a fingering chart with all 4 tuba keys exist?

The bulk of the musical talk
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Does a fingering chart with all 4 tuba keys exist?

Post by sc_curtis »

Hi all,

I’m looking for one fingering chart that displays all 4 tuba fingerings (BBb, CC, Eb, F). I think I’ve seen one before, but it was years ago, and my mind may be tricking me. If anyone out there knows of one, let me know!

Thanks,
Steve
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Does a fingering chart with all 4 tuba keys exist?

Post by scottw »

sc_curtis wrote:Hi all,

I’m looking for one fingering chart that displays all 4 tuba fingerings (BBb, CC, Eb, F). I think I’ve seen one before, but it was years ago, and my mind may be tricking me. If anyone out there knows of one, let me know!

Thanks,
Steve
http://www.chisham.com//tips/index.html" target="_blank
Bearin' up!
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

bloke wrote:too many different valve set-ups
Non-compensating BBb and Eb, or Compensating?
What tuning is the 5th valve?
How many valves 4? 5? 6?

I agree with Bloke, too many valve set-ups
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

sc_curtis wrote:I’m looking for one fingering chart that displays all 4 tuba fingerings (BBb, CC, Eb, F). I think I’ve seen one before, but it was years ago, and my mind may be tricking me. If anyone out there knows of one, let me know!
There are fingering charts for 4 keys of her in the "Tips" section here on TubeNet. The are in the menu line at the top of the initial page of TubeNet. ^^^^^^^^

If you want all of them on the same chart, you are asking a different question. The charts here are separate charts. You could always print one and write the others in with a pencil. Or not.
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for a basic “1 chart does it all” situation for students wanting to explore tubas other than BBb. If it doesn’t exist, I’ll just make my own.

If you’re playing a 6-valve f, a 5-valve f tuba chart (where the 5th is a flat whole step) would still be helpful for someone new to f tuba as a starting point, right? I don’t think my question was that outrageous....
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

http://www.norlanbewley.com/tuba.htm#tips" target="_blank

Has seperate charts for the keys. If you meant a fingering chart that has all keys of tuba on the same chart at the same time, then I don't know where to find one.
Norm in Bellevue
bugler
bugler

Post by Norm in Bellevue »

Progressive Techniques for Tuba by Donald Knaub, universalmusicpublishing.com covers most, but not all of the possibilities mentioned above for tubas in all four keys.
Miraphone 188
Parke Ofenloch
Continental Divide Tuba Society
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

I'm specifically looking for 1 single-page fingering chart that would have introductory fingerings for all 4 pitches of tubas (BBb, CC, Eb, and F). Similar to the fingering chart I'll link to down below, but with Eb and F as well. I'm just curious to see if anyone in the tuba community has come across this and point me in the right direction to save me some time. I was probably going to make my own anyway, but seeing the format may help me out.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +chart.pdf" target="_blank
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Norm in Bellevue wrote:Progressive Techniques for Tuba by Donald Knaub, universalmusicpublishing.com covers most, but not all of the possibilities mentioned above for tubas in all four keys.
Yes, Norm is correct. The fingering charts on pages 16-20 of Knaub's book will answer most all of your questions.

Ace
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

sc_curtis wrote:I'm specifically looking for 1 single-page fingering chart that would have introductory fingerings for all 4 pitches of tubas (BBb, CC, Eb, and F). Similar to the fingering chart I'll link to down below, but with Eb and F as well. I'm just curious to see if anyone in the tuba community has come across this and point me in the right direction to save me some time. I was probably going to make my own anyway, but seeing the format may help me out.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +chart.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank
A chart with the two other keys should be easy to make. Once you have the staves and notes on the page, it is just a matter of putting the lined spaces below and filling them in with a word processor.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

pauvog1 wrote:Seems like a lot for 1 page. Is this including compensating vs non-compensating systems. There are lots of valve set ups involved for such a project. Why not just give them 4 separate charts? Seems like an all inclusive would be harder to use.
Have a look at this example he posted. It would be easy to tack Eb and F on the bottom of each line.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +chart.pdf" target="_blank