Sousaphone Stands

The bulk of the musical talk
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Sousaphone Stands

Post by TUbajohn20J »

I recently purchased a Hercules sousaphone stand and I have a problem with it. My 40K and 22K are TOO BIG to fit in it properly. The horns are too tall for the top bracket of the stand to fit around the bell collar section. Were these stands made for smaller sousaphones like the King line? I thought these stands would have been adjustable but they're not. Any recommendations on a stand that would fit my big 6/4 sousas?
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Re: Sousaphone Stands

Post by TubaDude »

I'm using the Randall May/Yamaha Sousaphone stand for my 1909 King 1340 Helicon and 1913 York Eb/CC Helicon. On the King there's still plenty of room on the hooks on the top yoke to fit a much larger horn. I think the model number of the stand is the RM-TUSOU or something like that and they're about $120.00. I took a while googling to find a store that actual had them in stock.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

bloke wrote:
Assuming complete accuracy in your report - and no options overlooked (I'm ignorant, here, and will only be speaking in general terms, I actually OWN one of these stands, but never used it and it is on loan), is there someone nearby who could possibly unbolt/cut and weld/fabricate one part that would make everything work?

Is the component that would be altered painted an easy-to-match color, such as satin-black?

I encounter friendly welders (one-man shops) who are willing to help out, and charge not-fancy prices for little jobs.

I think this would be my best option. I could probably have a welder extend it an inch or so for cheaper than buying another stand. I like this one for portability and love how it folds up pretty compact. I used it last night for a gig but the horn didn't fit in it right. Made me feel uneasy only having the bottom of the horn properly secured and the top just kind of resting on one side of it.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

lost wrote:Wenger sousaphone stand/chair can hold a 46k. I'd look into it for your needs.

(And i'd call those sousas 5/4)
I need a stand I can throw in the car and carry inside a building with my sousaphone without making two trips. Those stands don't look very portable to me.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Post by MrBasseyPants »

The Hercules is defa mutely too small for a 40K....I gently set mine on it and it worked. It fit a Sara dead Holton sousaphone just fine.....so anything smaller than a 20K/40K 9r King Giant should work.

I like the Yamaha airlift stand..... but some do not.....it would work well if you want that type of stand.

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)
...and a 1920s Columbia Tenor Sousaphone

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

MrBasseyPants wrote:The Hercules is defa mutely too small for a 40K....I gently set mine on it and it worked. It fit a Sara dead Holton sousaphone just fine.....so anything smaller than a 20K/40K 9r King Giant should work.

I like the Yamaha airlift stand..... but some do not.....it would work well if you want that type of stand.

jc
I will look into the Yamaha stand. Does it fold up easily and compact enough to throw in the car and take to gigs?
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Post by MrBasseyPants »

TUbajohn20J wrote:
MrBasseyPants wrote:The Hercules is defa mutely too small for a 40K....I gently set mine on it and it worked. It fit a Sara dead Holton sousaphone just fine.....so anything smaller than a 20K/40K 9r King Giant should work.

jc
I will look into the Yamaha stand. Does it fold up easily and compact enough to throw in the car and take to gigs?
It does....btut you'd have to fund one used....they didn't;t seem to be very popular....

https://reverb.com/item/11624796-yamaha ... d-rm-shsou" target="_blank

It is a display stand....,not a playing stand.

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)
...and a 1920s Columbia Tenor Sousaphone

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!