Getting the water out

The bulk of the musical talk
JESimmons
bugler
bugler

Getting the water out

Post by JESimmons »

Newby question. I’m a long time trombone player learning to play a tuba. I found a Conn 10J in typical abused condition - it’s good enough to learn on. I’m having trouble getting the (I’m told not to say spit) water out of it. I pull all the valve slides and main slide, spin the horn around like I see French horn players do both with the valves depressed and not, and the horn still rattles. Is there a trick? Do I need an air compressor?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Getting the water out

Post by Three Valves »

The spit makes it rattle??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Yes, it's very frustrating. My old Conn (...whatever it is...) does the same thing, and it bit me hard during the most recent concert with it. Mine is a bit of a BAT and I'm sure the audience was trying to figure out why I was tossing it about during the performance.

Anyway, you have to keep spinning it around vertically until... uh... well, you know. Just make sure you spin it in the right direction so the moisture doesn't come out the bell.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Three Valves wrote:The spit makes it rattle??
gurgle

Learning to get the water out of a particular tuba can be something of an art at times.
JESimmons
bugler
bugler

Post by JESimmons »

Thanks. It makes me appreciate the simplicity off my trombones.
sushi20j
bugler
bugler

Post by sushi20j »

The Big Ben wrote:Learning to get the water out of a particular tuba can be something of an art at times.
That is why I had a Saturn Water Key added to the 4th valve tubing on my Miraphone. I got tired of doing tuba acrobatics in the close quarters of various pits during musicals.
Saturn Key 1.jpg
Saturn Key 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Miraphone 187
1956 Conn 20J
1967 Conn 20J - For Sale
1967 Conn 24J
19?? Universal Eb Sousa
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Without watching how you turn the horn, I'll still guess that you spin it too quickly. The water needs to "roll" out, like you're rolling a marble through the tubing. Slow down, and take time at home to study the pipes and figure them out.

And please don't whirl the horn around while the rest of the group is playing.
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Northernlb »

On those Conn 10J the water likes to hang out in second valve slide or the bottom of the second valve. If you do not have access to the slide to get it out, the slow roll is the way you will have go to get it out of the instrument. If done right one turn should get it to a water key.
:tuba: