News of Big Mouth Brass

The bulk of the musical talk
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

News of Big Mouth Brass

Post by bisontuba »

Now that it is official.....
Big Mouth Brass is handing over distribution to Buckeye Brass & Winds. The company remains mine but day to day operations, sales, distribution and shows will all be in the capable hands of Rob Phillips at Buckeye. For those who don’t know, Buckeye has been our warehouse since we left Elkhart in 2011. Rob was the head of design and engineering at Conn-Selmer’s Eastlake facility before starting his own business. Rob is an Ohio State University School of Music graduate and has over 30 years experience in the musical instrument industry. (He knows his stuff.)
I have been very fortunate to have worked in a friendly, supportive industry. When my professional playing career was cut short due to focal dystonia in 1980, I went to work in a music store for four years. From there, I went to King Musical Instruments which was subsequently absorbed by UMI and then Conn-Selmer. Nineteen years later, I followed my boss to Gemeinhardt where I was asked to start a brass division. After new owners decided to focus exclusively on woodwinds, Melissa and I took sole ownership of what became Big Mouth Brass.
In my 33 years of schlepping instruments, I have had the pleasure to call on many fine music stores and meet some of the greatest musicians in the world. It’s been a true pleasure to work in this industry but between the considerable car travel and long flights to China, Brazil and India, the toll on the human body can be unforgiving. I’ve decided to hand over the more physically demanding aspects and enjoy my grandchildren, golf, and music. Our travel will now be just for pleasure. Four of our grandchildren are now in their school bands and I am personally more involved in making music than I have been during my sales career. I am playing keyboard and singing in two rock bands and subbing on keyboard in a big band. In March I will be playing the lead, Emile de Becque, in The Villages Music Theater production of South Pacific. Can I sing like Ezio Pinza?
I remember buying my first CC tuba in 1963. I traveled from Cleveland to NYC where there were a total of two used CC tubas for sale. When I came home, I learned that Meinl-Weston had just developed the Bill Bell model and there was a rep in Cincinnati that had one. The only other CC tuba that I knew of was Miraphone. I contacted King but they refused to build any more CC tubas. I marvel at the choices young tuba players have today. When I see the displays at tuba conventions it seems like a candy store for tubists. I have been honored to be a part of the evolution.
Rob Phillips can be contacted at 614-499-8626 or emailed at info@buckeyebrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: News of Big Mouth Brass

Post by bort »

"I" = Mr. Barth?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: News of Big Mouth Brass

Post by bisontuba »

bort wrote:"I" = Mr. Barth?