Mouthpieces on PT-6P?

The bulk of the musical talk
willthetubaguy
bugler
bugler

Mouthpieces on PT-6P?

Post by willthetubaguy »

Just wondering what mouthpieces you guys have found to work best on the PT-6P. I love Laskey MPs but none of them have a PT shank.
Davy
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpieces on PT-6P?

Post by Davy »

I have found the PT-50 to be a solid match (for me, anyway). Also, the Giddings Bayamo works well, too.
Gnagey-Phone CC
Edwards B-454 Bass Trombone
Shires Q-30 Tenor trombone
King 3B Trombone
Fender P Bass
Ibanez SRH-505 Bass

Army Musician

"Don't play what's there; play what's not there".
-Miles Davis
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

willthetubaguy wrote:Just wondering what mouthpieces you guys have found to work best on the PT-6P. I love Laskey MPs but none of them have a PT shank.
I have made sounds that I liked (and got paid for) on a PT6P using a Laskey MP. I'm currently using a Dillon Olka CB2 with American shank. It inserts even more deeply than the Laskey does, but I don't have a problem with it.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Laskey 30H.
willthetubaguy
bugler
bugler

Post by willthetubaguy »

Would you guys recommend an Amer or Euro shank on it? Or should I have an Amer shank adjusted?
Matt Ransom
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matt Ransom »

Careful with shank choices on the PT6P. I have an older 24 year old smaller diameter valve (with the bend in the first slide) 6P that has a receiver considerably larger than the newer instruments. The PT euro shank goes into mine at least a half inch further than on the new receivers. Not sure of the age of your instrument, but thought you should be aware of that just in case.
The gap does make a difference in response. I like my large receiver.

Mine also weighs A LOT less than the newer 6Ps. It never ceases to surprise me when I pick up other 6Ps.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

Yes... there is tremendous variation in reciever size on the PT6 over the years.
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Post by hockeyched »

Had a pt50, played a mrP 5.0 and everyone in the room preferred it, so now I play the Mr. P 5.0.
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress.
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

It’s not a PT-6P, but I get great results on my PT-6 with a Denis Wick AT4U.
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
tubalex
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalex »

There are plenty of good choices I'm familiar with, especially having spent time around SO MANY of these for four years in Bloomington and then another three in Indianapolis. Some of the ones already listed are solid picks.

I feel that the best currently-made option for the PT6p designed by either Mr. Perantoni or Mr. Tucci, if you want to go that route, is the MRP 5.0 premium. The RT 50, RT 50+ and the standard MRP 5.0 are very good, but the MRP premium sounds and feels like a distinctly better class of "good match" to me for 5/4 C tubas, especially the PTs and Miraphones.

Remember the answer to the question "how many mouthpieces do you need, honey?" is always the same: "just one more."
Last edited by tubalex on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander Lapins, DM
Eastman Musical Instruments Artist
University of Tennessee Faculty
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp Faculty
Quintasonic Brass
http://www.music.utk.edu/faculty/lapins.php
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

IIRC, Steve Campbell used a Monette 94 with his PT6p.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

Two observations:
1) The PT6 is a horn that it works well with just about any mouthpiece.
2) The mouthpieces suggested are popular to use with a large variety of horns presumably because they work well with just about any horn.

Conclusion:
IF you have a favorite mouthpiece it'll almost certainly still be your favorite mouthpiece when plugged into a PT6.

------------------------------------
Answer to the original question: I've tried most of the previously suggested mouthpeices and eventually settled on a Parke Offenloch.
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

I decided to go for a more focused and less loud approach with my PT-6P and have liked the G & W Diablo "Light Days" mp.

mbeastep
Calgary
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

At one point when I was still at school, the majority of the tuba studio played a PT-6/PT-6P, and virtually all of them also played a PT-88. Don't have much experience myself with that horn, but I will say the guys who could play well sounded real good on that setup. I will also mention that one of the players I enjoyed listening to the most gave up on the 88 and moved to the 48, because in his words it still sounded like him, but with a lot less effort. YMMV
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

On my rotor PT-6, a Mike Finn H changed my life. The horn sounded great on a PT-50 and PT-50+; sounded fine with a Helleberg. The MF-H was heads and shoulders above them.

I'll qualify my response, though: I tend to have an aggressive playing style, and the MF-H reined me in. The PT-50+ and especially the PT-50 tended to be too "live" for me.

I had the same experience on a Miraphone 129X (I forgot to check specifically which it was...) that I used to test all of the mouthpieces (I didn't have the ability to test a ton of mouthpieces on my own horn due to location and shipping costs). The horn sounded good with all of the mouthpieces I used, but was a different instrument with the MF-H.

I only say that to highlight that the MF-H would likely be just as good on the PT-6P as it was on the PT-6...If you play exactly like me.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

For my teacher, he uses a RT-44

yea I know its a weird choice, but ask him how he got to be a finalist in the ITEC competition

he has a very rich "german" tone
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

TheTuba wrote:For my teacher, he uses a RT-44

yea I know its a weird choice, but ask him how he got to be a finalist in the ITEC competition

he has a very rich "german" tone
The 44 is a better mouthpiece than the more popular 88, 50, etc..