Scott Laskey has passed away...

The bulk of the musical talk
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Scott Laskey has passed away...

Post by joshealejo »

Posted 12 minutes ago...
It is with great sadness that I hear of the passing of Scott Laskey today. Scott, for those who didn’t know him, was a mouthpiece maker who make mouthpieces for just about everyone. You will be missed Scott. RIP.
from Mr. Steve Dillon's Facebook
Some stuff
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Scott Laskey has passed away...

Post by ppalan »

Sad news indeed.
R I P Mr. Laskey.
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
paulver

Post by paulver »

Talked to him several times on the phone. Very knowledgeable. He invited my family and I to go out and see his shop...... never made it. Great guy, and had a couple of tough years recently.

RIP Scott!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

So sorry to hear that! How old was he? Maybe I was wrong, but I never had the impression he was very old. Then again, any age is too young to lose the good people in the world. RIP, Scott.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

His son Alex is a great French Horn player. He posted the announcement on his father's Facebook page:
It’s with a heavy heart that I have to report the passing of my father, Scott Laskey.

On July 3rd, Dad suffered a cancer induced stroke and was admitted to the hospital. Over time his conditioned worsened and he died in hospice care, suffering no pain or anxiety.

My dad was lucky enough to have found his life’s passion early in life. He started making mouthpieces when he was just 19 years old, a career that he would continue and master for the next 46 years. He was able to work closely with his musical heroes, and his work took him all over the world. I believe he said Switzerland was his favorite destination.

20 years ago, with the encouragement of his friends, he and my mom, Susan Stockton Laskey, had the courage to start their own company making mouthpieces for trumpets, and then eventually all brass instruments, a long time dream of Dad's. It wasn’t until I was older that I was able to see just how much bravery that decision took.

While dad was the world’s best mouthpiece maker, I’ll remember him as the father that never missed his son’s little league game or concert, my first and most devoted music teacher, a man who loved his family (dogs included) very deeply, and as an overall “well above average” guy (<— his stupid catchphrase).

I’ll always miss you, Dad, and thanks for everything.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

He lived close to me. I didn't meet him but when I met folks who had, they spoke very well of him. Sorry to hear it.
MORE AIR
Richard Armandi
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Richard Armandi »

What terribly sad news. Scott and I were classmates in college and were in many classes together. Whenever we would see each other we would greet each other with "stay sit", in reference to what our Japanese instructor would tell us in a judo class we took together (We both dug him, and he was a wonderful sensei, with me often being the guinea pig for demonstrations).
I've been using his mouthpieces over 30 years.
May he rest in peace.
Rich Armandi
Rich Armandi
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Alex Laskey posted an update to the Laskey website: http://www.laskey.com/" target="_blank
In Memory of Scott Laskey
As many of you are aware, Laskey Company founder, Scott Laskey recently passed away.
My dad took great pride in his ability to help musicians achieve the sound that they wanted through his craftsmanship.
For this reason, in lieu of a public memorial service, we hope to collect stories about him from the people that he's worked with over the years. We especially would love to hear how he personally has helped you or a story involving his sharp sense of humor, but any comment about him would be cherished. Submissions of any length will be greatly appreciated. These will then be compiled into books for his family and closest friends.
If you have a story or thought about dad that you'd like included, please send it to scottlaskeymemorial@gmail.com" target="_blank. And feel free to share this address with anyone that might be interested as well.
Thank you so much,
Alex Laskey
I unfortunately never really had any interaction with the man, just his mouthpieces. But a lot of people out there did.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

I wish that FB was searchable. I posted a fairly lengthy story about my encounter with Scott.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

I just got this in a tuba facebook group:
Alex Laskey(Scott Laskey’s son) asked me to share this.

If you have any memories of Scott Laskey that you would like to share please email them to this address. scottlaskeymemorial@gmail.com" target="_blank
The memories will be compiled and put into a book for his family members to read.
It was posted by Zachary Buckwash in Tuba/Euphonium

I thought it might get some attention here.