Etude Books for Switching to Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
TD517
lurker
lurker

Etude Books for Switching to Tuba

Post by TD517 »

Hello all!

I am a Euphonium player who has acquired a very used Tuba, and I'm looking for suggests on Etude books. I've done some work with my Euph books, but I want to get more accustomed to reading in the actual Tuba range.

I've tried the First Practical Studies, which are nice for sight-reading or a few days, but I'm looking for something a bit more engaging musically so I'll want to work them up for a week or more. Obviously I'm still struggling with transitioning to the new instrument, but all technique and no music makes Jack a dull boy.

Oh, and it's a Bb Tuba in case that matters (or someone want to rake me over the coals).

TL;DR - Euphonium player seeks music to help him learn Tuba, to give him a more viable career path. :mrgreen:
Willson 2950 - Schilke 52E2
"Sonora" Bb 4 rotor - Bach 18
Conn 88HO - Schilke 51D
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Re: Etude Books for Switching to Tuba

Post by fourbass »

Kopprasch and Blahzevich are two standard tuba books. Also, check out: http://www.windsongpress.com/jacobs/wri ... METHOD.pdf" target="_blank

Good luck
https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
Mark

Post by Mark »

Last edited by Mark on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

TD517 wrote:
I've tried the First Practical Studies...
Get the second one.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TD517
lurker
lurker

Post by TD517 »

Thanks for all the replies! I have a friend who has let me borrow his Tyrell and Blahzevich books, so that's a start. I've also got the Bass Trombone version of the Rochut book, which has been helping too.
bloke wrote:Rochut book I...just mash the same buttons that you've been mashing, which will put you in the tuba octave..
I've been doing this for a few months now, and it's what I'm trying to get away from. Notes and pitches make sense to me in that octave, but whenever I try to read the 'correct' tuba notation my brain freaks out and I have trouble confidently hitting pitches. Plus I'm not comfortable reading below C under the staff. It's just a mental block I know, but I'd rather figure things out now as appose to sitting in a group writing in note names...
Willson 2950 - Schilke 52E2
"Sonora" Bb 4 rotor - Bach 18
Conn 88HO - Schilke 51D
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

I've found the David Uber book to be challenging enough and new enough(to me) to be worthwhile. While it's certainly good to play stuff that you have in your mind's ear, it's also important to learn new stuff.

Oh, and don't forget Snedecor low etudes. As a euph player who doubles and switched, it took be a while to get a convincing Low G and Low F on my EEb, and as I'm sure you've noticed, those are pretty important notes in the repertoire. YMMV...
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

In my own doubling expierence I have found "The Brass Gym" Sam Pilafian and Arbans helpful