Blackbird for solo tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Blackbird for solo tuba

Post by Michael Grant »

Hello all:

Would anyone know where one can acquire the sheet music for Blackbird for solo tuba? I have not had any luck searching online.

Thanks,

Mike
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Re: Blackbird for solo tuba

Post by fourbass »

I just sent you a PM.

P.
https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
Cimbassoman
lurker
lurker

Post by Cimbassoman »

Could you help me with the problem of finding a printed version of "Blackbird", too? I'm not looking for a freebie, but I can't find this item anywhere online.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

AFAIK this was never published (probably because of copyright issues), so it doesn't surprise me that you can't find it. I know when I performed it, I had a handwritten copy (potentially the only form it appears in).

I know I don't have that anymore, but I remember wanting to typeset it in Sibelius at some point. I can take a look for that and let you know if I have it.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Somarithedark
bugler
bugler

Post by Somarithedark »

Bumping this post because I am now in a similar situation. Does anybody know where to find this piece?

Also does anybody know the history behind it? I keep seeing that Paul McCartney wrote it on youtube videos, but it doesn’t sound anything like the actual Blackbird the Beetles actually released. Did Paul just decide to write a tuba piece by the same name??? Very confused on that.
"Shouldn't we all be practicing right now?"

Reece Ashley
reeceash2000@gmail.com
Miraphone 283 "Norweigan Star" 5/4 Eb
Wessex "Chicago Presence" 6/4 CC
Boston Conservatory Tuba Performance 2025
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Somarithedark wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:57 pm Bumping this post because I am now in a similar situation. Does anybody know where to find this piece?

Also does anybody know the history behind it? I keep seeing that Paul McCartney wrote it on youtube videos, but it doesn’t sound anything like the actual Blackbird the Beetles actually released. Did Paul just decide to write a tuba piece by the same name??? Very confused on that.
Do you have a link to the piece you're wanting to play/listening to?
Somarithedark
bugler
bugler

Post by Somarithedark »

arpthark wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:56 pm
Somarithedark wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:57 pm Bumping this post because I am now in a similar situation. Does anybody know where to find this piece?

Yes: https://youtu.be/WKVx6WsR6IE?si=sj0njZeREUXkXs5m
"Shouldn't we all be practicing right now?"

Reece Ashley
reeceash2000@gmail.com
Miraphone 283 "Norweigan Star" 5/4 Eb
Wessex "Chicago Presence" 6/4 CC
Boston Conservatory Tuba Performance 2025
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Somarithedark wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:59 pm
arpthark wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:56 pm

Yes: https://youtu.be/WKVx6WsR6IE?si=sj0njZeREUXkXs5m
That's a jazzy version of Blackbird by the Beatles, arranged by Lars Holmgaard. It's been floating around as a handwritten PDF for like 20 years.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

He's a fine player, but I gotta say I really dislike the arrangement. All that bouncy, "Fnugg" style stuff really leaves me cold. It's such a pretty song--he starts that way--that I don't see the reason to muck it up. It's like apologizing for playing tuba.