time travel

The bulk of the musical talk
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: time travel

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

bloke wrote:In 1974 - just after 12th grade, I bought myself (with money I had earned and saved) a new 4-valve Miraphone 186 C tuba.
In 1977, I bought myself (with money I had earned and saved) a three-year-old 4-speed standard-shift air-conditioned Toyota station wagon.
My Dad really didn't buy very much stuff for me. He never volunteered to, and I never asked him to.

HAD you (older folks) had the opportunity to purchase a really nice tuba to use in junior high and high school, which make/model would it have been? Further, how make/model-aware (no internet/no nuthin') were you (me: not very much at all) at that age?
In 1969, I bought a 1965 Dodge Coronet 4-door, 3 on the column, under dash a/c. My dad loaned me the money through the bank. You can bet I made every payment on time. It was our only car when my wife and I married in 1971, and I drove it until I got hit by a train in 1976 (wasn't hurt, but long story). Also in 1971, I bought a Meinl-Weston 4v Model 30 CC which I wish I still had. My scholarship meant my dad didn't have to use much of the money he saved for my college, so I used some of that. That was the horn I took to Kentucky and I wish I still had it, but a teaching career, children, etc. came along and I sold it.

In my high school days (1965-69), I played a Reynolds fiberglass Sousaphone and a Besson 3v compensating tuba, the one with the ball on the bottom. I had to sit on a pillow to reach the mouthpiece. I was aware of York, Conn, and King tuba brands but thought that Besson was an "elite" horn.
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

Wow! tofu, congratulations to your nice garage! Since being a small boy I am dreaming of a T-model Ford (I know, the A is better for every day...). Still have to convince my wife...