Greyhound question

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Greyhound question

Post by bort »

Question -- I see that GPX has an option for delivering the tuba to the recipient's door (instead of delivering to the terminal).

Has anyone used this? If so, is it generally a decent service, or better to just pick it up at the terminal?

I'm only considering it because the tuba will be packed in a very large crate... and it's going to be difficult to get rid of that at the station.

Thoughts?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Greyhound question

Post by bort »

I know that, too... but unfortunately that just isn't realistic this time.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

If your car doesn't have enough space for the crate, rent a U-Haul van - I see them advertised for $19.95 per day, plus mileage....

https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/Cargo-Van-Rental/BE/" target="_blank

Or, if possible, enlist a friend with a pick-up truck or minivan to help :oops:

I've never used "home delivery" from GPX, and frankly, I'd be wary of something like that (too new, and do they drive the bus up to your house?)

Have the horn shipped to a MAJOR Greyhound station near you, a place that has a secure room where it will be locked up until you can get there to pick it up.
Last edited by roweenie on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

I was under the impression that the horn was being shipped via GPX, in a large crate, to a terminal near him, and that the issue was how to get it and the crate from the terminal to his house?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

GH does offer this service but you will have to have the station check for pricing as they use a third party and contract it out. The only issue you will have is how well the third party handles the box. GH is great because the box never goes more than 2 feet off the ground, the third party carrier, who knows what they will be driving or how they will handle it? The few times i have used it i dont think it cost more than 40 dollars. Of course the further the drive from the station the more it will cost you.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks, Tom, this was the missing piece. I'll give them a call tomorrow to ask about it.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

I used the station to door option 1 time. It's worth it if the recipient does not want to or can't pick it up. They do use contractors for this. For a BIG crate might be worth it.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.