Experience with Paypal buyers protection

The bulk of the musical talk
cozzagiorgi
bugler
bugler

Experience with Paypal buyers protection

Post by cozzagiorgi »

Hi I am looking for experiences with Paypal buyers protection. From the standpoint of a buyer and as a seller.

Here is my story:

Some weeks ago, I found an interesting horn on Facebook Marketplace. I contacted the seller, asked for some more precise pics and some videos. Got what I asked and bought the horn for 1500 USD. A fair price for him as well as for me.

After receiving the horn I found there were several issues that were not described and left out of all the photos and videos I received. Two of the issues make the horn practically unplayable and need repair. I contacted the seller and asked him a refund of 500 USD, the amount I would have to use for repair. Seller never answered so I had to activate Paypal buyers protection, I asked them to refund me 500 USD. Today I got an email from Paypal, they will refund me not only 500 USD, but 1500 USD!

Of course, that would be a great deal for me, but I have some problems with this: The horn, in the condition I got it, is not worth nothing, it is still worth maybe 800 – 1000 USD. Will they take legal procedures against the buyer to recover the 1500 USD? If yes, he will end up with nothing, and that really would not be fair!

Or is this just an insurance thing for Paypal and the seller will be able to keep the 1500 USD? Not fair either, but actually not of importance to me…

Any experiences with this?
Porky
bugler
bugler

Re: Experience with Paypal buyers protection

Post by Porky »

Make sure you get your story straight. With a small sum of money like that it’s doubtful it’ll be taken to a court or anything. However because of the “buyers protection” the seller could have the funds he owes sent to collections. Personally doing deals via PayPal for large purchases of tubas can be sketchy on both ends of the spectrum.

Now I personally believe the seller isn’t at fault because he didn’t share what you were looking for. This is why you have to ask detailed questions and detailed photos. In this matter it’s pretty ludicrous to even activate buyers protection because you have the goods as is. To me it sounds like you’re unhappy with the purchase and just want your money back. PayPal gave you the full refund and the seller will have to pay for it. I would either return the horn back to him untouched or deduct the 500 dollars you think is reasonable for repair. It could come back to bite you if you’re lying also even worse then the original claims. Either way good luck.
cozzagiorgi
bugler
bugler

Post by cozzagiorgi »

Oh no, this won't go to the court. Especially since two different countries are involved.

What I want to know is if the seller will really be belonged or if Paypal will just refund me without taking actions against the seller. If the seller really has to pay the money back to paypal, I will definitely pay him the difference.

I am of course unhappy with the horn, but I will keep it. I never wanted all my money back, just the money for reparation.
I am not lying at all, the horn was advertised as playable, but it is not playable. Then again, playable is maybe a stretchable word to some...
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

lost wrote:You have to open a claim in the pay pal resolution center and let the process work.
That (emphasis: mine)!

It seems to me, based on what has already been posted, that you already initiated your claim with Paypal after receiving no response from the seller when you requested a partial refund. Paypal then decided that you were due a refund based on the evidence they were presented with. It's resolved ("case closed") from their perspective and it just so happened that you ended up with the full refund and instrument. You could just leave it at that, but you seem to feel guilty about the outcome.

If you are truly concerned that the seller ended up with zero while you got a full refund and got to keep the horn, then go ahead and send them the $1000 you think the instrument is still worth. Or send the entire horn back and keep your money that you got back. Otherwise be content that the Paypal process did run it's course and the outcome seems to have been very much in your favor.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I wonder if Paypal reviewed this and considered the tuba to be totalled -- the ratio of repair cost to instrument value is too high for it to make sense to repair.

I know it's not really a "damage" situation, but for Paypal, it might just not have been worth the time and effort to deal with this case more precisely. Especially with two countries involved, it'll get complicated quickly. Especially if there's any actual legal work to do, the hourly rate for legal staff gets expensive quickly. Just as easy for them to make it all go away as fast as possible. If the case is closed, I doubt there's anything else they can ask of you. Plus, I'd never contact that seller about the tuba again. If it's over... let it be over.

PS -- I bet you'll use Paypal again. :)
cozzagiorgi
bugler
bugler

Post by cozzagiorgi »

To set things straight: I didn't ask a complete refund, but 500 usd. I don't know why paypal refunded me all.

In the meantime the seller finally answered my messages and I offered him a fair amount wich he accepted.

So in the end it ends nicely. But strange politics by paypal. They didn't even care to see photos, they simply decided based on my description.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cozzagiorgi
bugler
bugler

Post by cozzagiorgi »

It certainly is an eye opener to me from a sellers perspective! But I think bort is right. For paypal it just wasn't worth it, especially with two countries involved.

Some people report paypal can still ask me to send the horn back, even some weeks later. We'll see if they ask me to do this, I will keep my correspondance with the seller!
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

I'm fine with PayPal when I'm buying something.

I avoid it at all costs if I'm selling something worth more than a couple of hundred bucks.