Nylon valve guides for olds 099/ conn 4j?

The bulk of the musical talk
BrassKicksArse
bugler
bugler

Nylon valve guides for olds 099/ conn 4j?

Post by BrassKicksArse »

Anyone have any idea where I can get some nylon valve guides? Trying to quiet down the valve action a bit.
Tom Eshelman
bugler
bugler

Re: Nylon valve guides for olds 099/ conn 4j?

Post by Tom Eshelman »

There are tubenet threads describing how to do this for an olds-99 using nylon screws then filing the screw-head down to fit the slot. I was not capable of removing the old metal guides - they were really frozen in place, so I had a repairman do that. I was able to make the nylon valve guides for my olds-99-4 using 3.48 x 1/4 nylon screws. PM me and I'll send you a few (since I had to buy 100).
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Nylon valve guides for olds 099/ conn 4j?

Post by Dan Schultz »

As the previous poster mentioned... Nylon screws and fairly common and an be altered to work fine.

Another way is to use plastic guides purchased from DEG but you'll have to retap the holes in the pistons to 3mm. Of course... in doing this you cannot easily go back to the original brass guides that have #3-48 threads.

The downside is that the plastic guides to not wear as long as brass ones.

The truth here is that properly fitted brass guides will not make noise. 'Properly fitted' means that there is very little clearance between the guide and the slot and the piston doesn't 'slap' back and forth in the slot.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.