Mouthpiece identification help

The bulk of the musical talk
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Mouthpiece identification help

Post by jperry1466 »

I picked up this old tuba mouthpiece many years ago in a music store in Lexington, Ky. It was in a box of mouthpieces all with a $3 price tag. I bought this one because it looked so interesting. Had to lathe it down to fit in my old Meinl Weston, hence the scotch tape protecting the paper thin end of the shank. The shank was already chopped or cut or broken off. Before I lathed it I could read a very faint Bu on the shank, and you can still see a faint 3 3. The best information I had at the time suggested it was made by Buescher around 1926.

It is bell shaped and very shiny and slick, so I don't know if it is silver plate or nickel or even possibly chrome. It has a very "soft" feel to it because of the slickness, a very flat rim and nice round bowl cup, and plays with the sweetest tone of any mouthpiece I've ever had. I would love to have this mouthpiece duplicated with a full shank or even find someone who could replace or fix just the shank. I have never seen another one like it and would love to know something more about it.
tuba mpc1.jpg
tuba mpc2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill B
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpiece identification help

Post by Bill B »

I believe it is a Martin mouthpiece, the outside shape does look similar to one I once had, and Martin did make a "33".
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpiece identification help

Post by jperry1466 »

Thanks! I couldn't remember whether Martin or Buescher, however it does not look like the photos I found of a Martin 33 that has a wide, rounded rim. This is a narrow, flat rim. But I do remember the discussion being about either Buescher or Martin. but then, that was over 40 years ago.