Favorite Mic for a Kelly SHU mount system

The bulk of the musical talk
williamp
bugler
bugler

Favorite Mic for a Kelly SHU mount system

Post by williamp »

I'm tired of the inconsistent quality of mics provided from the various sound companies assigned to our ragtime orchestra, and I'm also tired of bashing my bell into mic stands. I've decided to by a Kelly SHU mount and purchase my own mic.

If you were buying a new mountable mic for your tuba/sousaphone/helicon, what mic would you buy? I'm hoping to order something by this weekend for an upcoming outdoor series and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Here's a video sampling of the type of music I normally play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D75Vgl4N21U" target="_blank

Thanks for your suggestions.
Tubainsauga

Re: Favorite Mic for a Kelly SHU mount system

Post by Tubainsauga »

I've had very good luck using an Audix D4 mounted on my sousaphone. Small, durable, sounds good and is reasonably common and cheap.
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

Thanks for the recommendation of the Audix D4. Any other recommendations or pro/con comments out there?
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

Specifically, anyone use the AKG D112 or Shure Beta 52A?
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I actually dislike kick drum mics for tuba. I think they offer a really dull sound.

I use a Sennheiser 421 but the clip is a PITA. Sounds great, though. If I didn’t already have the 421, I probably would get a Beyerdynamic M88. I tried the 2 side by side and really liked them both.

If you really want a bass drum mic, I like the Audix D6 (big brother to the D4). Also, the cable exits opposite the element like a regular handheld mic. Unlike the 2 you mentioned which exit 90 degrees from the element. Depending on your placement with the Shu, this can be an issue.
greatk82
3 valves
3 valves

Post by greatk82 »

I agree with Kirley. MD421 or an M88
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

Beta52A is designed for REALLY hard transients which is why is why many folks come away feeling like it's a dull- they tend to squash any dynamics that are less than fortissimo in an unpleasing way, as a side effect of the very pleasing way they squash >greater-than-fortissimo dynamics. Removing the dome cap can help with this, it will essentially give you a cooler looking 57. I would second the MD421 suggestion if their (proprietary and absolutely necessary) articulated mic clips weren't so problematic- I'm still waiting for somebody to 3D print a non-articulated version of that clip.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Just checked out your video, williamp. Love it!
Thanks for sharing.
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

Thanks for the advice on this. After weighing the options, I decided against the SHU system and am trying a simple 12" x 12" cargo net across the bell, with velcro ties to secure a Beyerdynamic M88. Thanks to Kirley for that suggestion -- two sound guys I've worked with both agreed it would be a much better choice than the kick mic. I normally move a lot when I play to make cues, so this should fix the problem of me bashing mics on a stand and uneven sound.

Heres the net:
https://www.amazon.com/Heininger-4249-H ... B00IUJYT14" target="_blank" target="_blank

It doesn't look the prettiest, but it fits the bell securely and I'm hopeful it will produce good results.

Thanks again!
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

I've used with great success SM-58 and an EV RE-20 with the Shu - It can support a ton of weight, but if you are moving around, its really just easy enough to go simple. In the grand scheme of things the 58 gets the job done fine. Lately I have been trying out a Sennheiser e609 silver - and I like it a bunch also.

If you get tired of attaching are removing the Shu mount - Stageninja has a really nice clip on system that works really well - its ugly, but functional.
Ben Vokits
NYC/Philly area Freelancer
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Alex 164C, 163C, 155F; HB1P
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

An excellent microphone that won't break the bank is an AKG C1000. At our house the mic has to sound good on saxophones too, and for the money these are hard to beat.
MORE AIR