Anyone in northern California have a cool winds tuba ?

The bulk of the musical talk
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Anyone in northern California have a cool winds tuba ?

Post by groth »

Check your PM's..
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I have to jump in. I played one at TexasMEA two years ago and was enchanted. I believe I could play it at any number of gig situations and do extremely well. The problem is that professional colleagues would look at a black, blue or silver-ish plastic tuba and I would never work again.

I loved the horn. I'd buy one in a minute.

Warning: Do not use valve oil! One music store I know of has a CoolWinds with melted rotors because the core of the valve seems to melt when it comes into contact with petroleum products. You would know more about how that can happen than I would.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Alex C wrote:I have to jump in. I played one at TexasMEA two years ago and was enchanted. I believe I could play it at any number of gig situations and do extremely well. The problem is that professional colleagues would look at a black, blue or silver-ish plastic tuba and I would never work again.
No sense of humor... I think it matters what context (type of job) it was used in. Polka party time? Bring it on. Paint it beer colored and paint a ring around the bell that looks like a foam head. I kind of like the idea of hot rod flames coming down the bell stack from the rim.

What about the weight? I would think it would be less than a comparable size metal tuba but how about it?