What can you add about this model Blessing Sousaphone?

The bulk of the musical talk
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

What can you add about this model Blessing Sousaphone?

Post by BrassedOn »

I put this out to our collective wisdom to see if anyone has has any info on this model horn:
Blessing BBb Sousaphone SN 731xxx.
BodyView.jpg
Engraving.jpg
Valvesection.jpg
More pics here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ot3h6cc55yuf ... MbATa?dl=0

I see a similar horn on hornucopia, with .640 bore and 25” bell and close serial number but no year listed. Thanks Hornucopia! ID 2533 Sousaphone Blessing

For mine, it appears smaller overall. At leadpipe and first valve slide I get .625 ID. Bell is 24”, 6” at the collar. The brace from the collar to bodily looks heavily altered. Bits are quite light weight, thin walled, seems thinner than a King bit. I think the leadpipe brace is interesting and distinctive.

Generally, the horn plays small but is a good weight for my Dixieland gigs. Reasonably in tune. Kind of stuffy Cs and Bs. Obviously needs work, and it’s next in line in my stable for a rehab. I’m sure new felts and corks and de-dent will help.

The engraved “Blessing”is so basic I wonder if the same horn is sold under different brands.

What can you add?
Year?
Sister brand for parts?
Any History of this model?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BrassedOn on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
Jesse Brook
bugler
bugler

Re: What can you add about this model Blessing Sousaphone?

Post by Jesse Brook »

As far as I know, outside of trombones, Blessing never made it's own low brass. This is definitely a stencil, and if I was to guess, I would head for the Italians.
Any time at all is tuba time. Watch for the signs.
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

Bloke,

Thanks for the lead on potential Italian import/maker. I'll take that and see what I can find. I'd guess not Chinese or South Asian, from the condition and workmanship, but I've seen an Indian no name horn kind of similar with the main lead pipe into the first valve above the first valve slide, but no match. I'd say close to 20 y/o, but you never know with sousas and condition.

I actually have one of the Blessing marching valve trombones. I've had other traditional wrap valve bones, and the Blessing is about as open. I actual had this as a toss-in-the-suitcase-while-traveling horn, just to keep up some valve practice without risking my Swiss horn. Took forever for the valves to break in, but now very good. I pull that horn out at a jazz jam, which gets some looks, or just thinking about Juan Tizol when sitting on the couch. From Puerto Rico, he's credited with writing (or co-writing) Caravan with Ellington and has short interlude on Night and Day (Nelson Riddle arr., with Sinatra).
"Do less, better."
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

Bloke, yep, I understand, and that was my reading of your comment. Wow, yes, that looks like the same wrap! Best match so far. I don't see Barcone or Alexandre that are similar. Okay, another piece of information, and down the road, that will help as I need a part. THX.
"Do less, better."