Tuba Stand Recommendations - Bought a New Stand

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Re: Tuba Stand Recommendations

Post by Mark »

I used to have a K&M and the shaft kept slipping down. This is apparently a common problem with this stand.

I also tried a Wessex. The design is interesting and it has potential. However, I'm about 6'2" and the stand was not tall enough for me to use with smaller tubas, especially my F tuba. Also, the metal had some discolored spots.

I have been using the Baltimore Brass stand for a few years now and it is by far the best of the three. No problems whatsoever.
Mark

Post by Mark »

hrender wrote:I like the BB stand, but the knob on the bolt used to tighten the thing would be better replaced with something larger...
Yes, and not plastic.
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

Hey Doc,
I've tried all of the ones you mention. (didn't but them all, just tried) I'm now using the Wessex. I also thought the base looked small in the pictures as you've said. For me the base, as is, works fine because where it sits the most comfortably places the base right by my feet which I can place on the base if necessary. It's only been necessary when I have to set up on uneven ground to play. It is very strong and the threaded stem makes adjustment easy and precise. The top is thoughtfully designed with a depression in the center to sort of cup the bottom bow of the tuba. For me, it's the best I've tried and not as expensive as some of the others.

Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

BBC Tuba Rest is the only one for me. I have 2 of them and they've never let me (or my Nirschl) down after years of use.

Its the only I stand I feel confident in recommending and strongly encourage all the Music Ed students in methods courses that I teach to have these in their bandrooms.

The K&M's are $$$ and they slip.

The DEG's are $ and they slip.

The BBC stands are $$ and they don't slip.

JW
Elmhurst University - Applied Professor of Tuba/Euphonium
Elmhurst Symphony - Principal Tuba
Wintergreen Music Festival - Principal Tuba
New Chicago Brass
Ottava Quartet
JESimmons
bugler
bugler

Post by JESimmons »

I’ve been using a 3” yoga block to raise the level of my 3/4 tuba. I wrapped the block with that black medical tape that sticks only to itself. The tape grips my pants slightly and keeps the block from slipping. It’s not exactly what you asked about, but helpful for small tubas.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I have the Hercules. It slipped too but I fixed it with carefully placed stainless automotive hose clamps, thoughtfully suggested by a fellow Tubenetter.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

You might want to consider portability, Doc. I have a BB, DEG, K&M, and Wessex. For years I've used the K&M at home while leaving the BB in my accessory bag for transport. That's where my resting stand also goes when I'm out and about. The BB folds down very compactly yet is extremely sturdy.

There are slippage issues with the K&M, but these can be controlled by paying attention to tightening the fixing knob as much as is humanly possible along with avoiding any tugging downward on the tuba you are playing. The latter seems to be a bad habit that the K&M has almost broken me of.

I recently tried the Wessex on a lark, and I find that it's very stable and easy to use with my Rudy-Meinl Bayreuth BBb. It stays at the proper height for this tuba while the K&M now stays at the proper height for my Miraphone 191 5V BBb. I find it easier to switch playing stands than to struggle with trying to achieve the proper height with a different tuba on either stand. I'm just lazy, I guess, and have long since become addicted to using a playing stand.

The DEG is pretty much worthless.
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
MusicSmiths
bugler
bugler

Post by MusicSmiths »

Not sure how heavy is "heavy", but the Wessex stand works fine for a 30 lb horn. I did find that adding an o-ring between the lock-nut and the shaft where the threaded portion of the stand goes in that it helps keep the lock-nut from vibrating loose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

BBC stand worked every day for many years. I saw David Fedderley at TUSAB, explained that the knob no longer held tight, and he handed me a new one, explaining that they carry a lifetime guarantee. He is also trying an "L"-shaped handle instead of the small plastic knob--that would be a definite improvement. I tried K&M and DEG, and the BBC has it all over both.
Bearin' up!
tizzdizz
lurker
lurker

Re: Tuba Stand Recommendations - Bought a New Stand

Post by tizzdizz »

Glad to hear you found one you like. I'll add my two cents anyway, for future questions.

I have the Hercules stand, and it looks great, but definitely wont work for all horns. It has quite a lean to it, which did not work for my Buescher recording bell tuba, so I had to drill a hole and attach a hook to keep the tall arm more upright. I'm surprised they didn't make that adjustable. I used a rubber-coated garage hook, the kind you hang your bicycles and whatnot onto. Anyway, it works fine for it now and is plenty sturdy. However I don't think it will work for my new horn (musica 483 clone made by Cerveny).

https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS552B- ... tuba+stand" target="_blank