Mouthpiece and tuba "bore"

The bulk of the musical talk
ccflyerguy
lurker
lurker

Mouthpiece and tuba "bore"

Post by ccflyerguy »

Will keep this short (don't want to turn into the other type of "bore"...)
Several MP makers recommend some of their models for large bore instruments (e.g. V. Bach 7 and 12)
Does it really make a significant difference?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Mouthpiece and tuba "bore"

Post by Donn »

ccflyerguy wrote:Will keep this short (don't want to turn into the other type of "bore"...)
Several MP makers recommend some of their models for large bore instruments (e.g. V. Bach 7 and 12)
Does it really make a significant difference?
Looking at the Bach "mouthpiece manual", I see that recommendation for model 7, but not for 12. 7 has a "larger backbore" - as does 18 and 24AW. (Throat size numbers also appear in this document, but in a garbled form that makes it hard to say positively which mouthpiece has what throat size -- but perhaps throat size is less relevant to bore.)

Anyway, usual caveat, you're looking at a theoretically conical instrument, whose "bore" is located far from the mouthpiece. The acoustic parameters of the leadpipe at the mouthpiece end, may or may not be strongly dependent on valve bore, I sure wouldn't know about that.

Ages ago, I remember getting the idea the Miraphone 190, then a 4V BBb with a larger than average valve bore, was at its best with their C4 mouthpiece, the shallow bowl with the ridiculously small throat. I kind of wish I still had that tuba, would love to compare the C4 with my James R New C-1 Conn 1 copy, which is roughly the polar opposite of a C4.

While I'm quacking on the internet here about things I know little of ... I would associate cup size and shape mostly with the player - player's lip size and shape, teeth, player's technique, player's tonal style and intention. You know, a wad of you is in there inside the cup, taking up some of the volume and significantly affecting the acoustic parameters. On the other end, it does seem like backbores would potential match up with some leadpipes better than others, but sadly we are rarely well informed about mouthpieces' backbores. The throat is a critical juncture between the two, not so much a parameter on its own with much independent significance. So ... I guess you end up having to play them to find out.