2nd slide trigger

The bulk of the musical talk
danontuba
lurker
lurker

2nd slide trigger

Post by danontuba »

Does anyone know who makes this 2nd slide trigger kit?

jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Re: 2nd slide trigger

Post by jeopardymaster »

Check with Dan Schultz - tubatinker. He fabricated an elegant 2nd valve kicker for my old Mirafone 186 some years ago. I have since sold that horn but I expect the kicker still works like a charm. You can find photos and a description on his site, among his "PROJECTS." The kit you posted looks a bit too "tinkertoy" for my taste - his work was much more robust.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Looks like B&S/MW linkages to me. Might be an option from the factory?
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Rudolf meinl in the picture...
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

That's a factory Rudolf Meinl 2nd valve trigger. It's available as an option on a new tuba. They can supply parts but won't be able to tell you if it will fit your instrument unless it's a Rudolf Meinl tuba.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

The only way any slide kicker will work satisfactorily is if the slide tubes are aligned perfectly. Lapping them until it slides easily will just result in a leaky slide that easily binds if kicked out too far. As a result, Rudolf Meinl charges a large premium for this factory option.. it's a pain in the butt to get right, even from the factory.

If you intend to have this done and want it to turn out super nice, plan to spend a lot of money and burn a lot of lacquer in the process.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I've already replied to danontuba about this project. jon_tuba is correct. It's impossible to purchase factory parts or fabricate them without actually having the horn 'on the bench'. The parts are just a start. Making everything work well can become very time consuming.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
danontuba
lurker
lurker

Post by danontuba »

thanks to everyone for the input and information...
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

I have received numerous inquiries over the years about 2nd slide triggers for rotary tubas. There is no fast-and-easy way to accomplish this. Most people start choking when I tell them that my cost from Rudolf Meinl for the parts is about $1,200.00US, and then I have the make the 2nd slide virtually perfect on a given horn, and may have to modify the parts to make it work on a non-Rudolf Meinl tuba. I built a 2nd slide trigger from scratch for an older Rudolf Meinl cimbasso about 15 years ago, and I can say that it is not cheaper for me to build it from scratch than to buy the parts from Rudolf Meinl. That's a lot of pricey nickel-silver stock, carefully crafted, with not-cheap linkage, very substantial and not-cheap saddle and hinge rod, and a very strong spring to make it all work. It would be possible to make one using brass stock instead and have it nickel-plated, but it would still not be really cheap to do..
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.