Wessex Gig Bags

The bulk of the musical talk
Samcai8
bugler
bugler

Re: Wessex Gig Bags

Post by Samcai8 »

Well, I just received mine. Construction FEELS sturdy enough, but only time will tell if it IS sturdy enough. Tuba is 26 pounds, bag is 8. That's 34 pounds total. Might be a little heavy, but we'll see.

The bad:
One of the backpack adjustment straps was accidentally sewn into the case back, but I cut it loose. I'll just go ahead and assume that didn't damage the bag.
My horn does like to lie diagonally- possibly onto the valves- inside the case when it's set horizontally, so I guess I'll have to keep it vertical.
And uh the mouthpiece-size-esque pocket is too small for my mouthpiece. Guess I'll use it for either valve oil or Flonase lol.

The good:
Literally everything else (from what I can tell).

Oh and if it's too big, just squeeze in some more foam :)
https://imgur.com/a/Hnu7txN" target="_blank
-Sam
Bacchanalia
bugler
bugler

Post by Bacchanalia »

I just went to purchase one of the 18” x 44” B200’s and it’s now $200.00. I would have sworn that all of the sizes were $135.00 the last time I looked. Maybe the website wasn’t reflecting the change of price when I was clicking around before but I’d looked a few different times. Hmmm. Guess I’m just out of luck. I’ve got a bag I can use so I didn’t REALLY need it, just don’t care for dangling straps and thought this would be a nice solution. Not sure I need to drop $200 + 35 in shipping on a non-essential upgrade :(
Rob Frazier
Mack Brass TU-200S
Mack Brass TB-831L Bass Bone
Mouthpiece Menagerie - Blokepieces when it counts
JefferyHall
lurker
lurker

Post by JefferyHall »

Unfortunately the prices were increased very recently. I just ordered a 'Luzern' with bag, and the bag listed for $200. It's not a very good feeling when one misses the boat.
Jeffery Hall
Mirafone BBb 184 bought new Spring 1980
Wessex BBb Tornister
Wessex BBb Luzern
GW Sam Pilafian Boston Brass in Ti
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacorbin »

That's too bad they have gone up to $200. I've been thinking about one of these, but probably won't do it at that price point.
JefferyHall
lurker
lurker

Post by JefferyHall »

I went to the Wessex-Tubas.com website, checked other Wessex Gig Bags and depending on the item they still range from $135 through $200. You've got to check their website to know if YOUR gig bag is priced right for you.
Jeffery Hall
Mirafone BBb 184 bought new Spring 1980
Wessex BBb Tornister
Wessex BBb Luzern
GW Sam Pilafian Boston Brass in Ti
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

I have two. Don't use the straps. Carry the small one and bungee the large one to a handcart. The large tuba has front valves but I have had no problems with loading it. Both cases are rugged.
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
Ernieball
bugler
bugler

Post by Ernieball »

Has anyone used the Wessex Sousaphone gigbag?
Is it any good?
My gedo bag/case needs replacing and I'm considering the Wessex bag (£185), the Gard bag (£300) and the SKB hard case (£420 on sale)

I walk and use public transport A LOT, so weight, maneuverability and ease of lugging are prime considerations.
Any thoughts?