Wessex Gig Bags

The bulk of the musical talk
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Wessex Gig Bags

Post by vespa50sp »

Anyone use Wessex gig bags? I was thinking about picking up a gig bag for my community band horn and saw these for $135. They come in many different sizes. https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/ac ... a-gig-bags

I'm an adult who is careful with a 3 valve conn, so I'm more concerned if the seams and zippers will hold up. I'm also wondering if the backpack straps mounted on the zippered compartment will hold up. Does anyone have experience with these?
KKORO
bugler
bugler

Re: Wessex Gig Bags

Post by KKORO »

I bought one for a 3/4 King tuba. (Can't remember the model) It seemed robust and the handle did the job. I can't say about the backpack straps. I did try them one time, but never used it to transport.

KKORO
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I have a large Wessex bag which I'm using with a heavy 5/4 tuba. After two years of regular use it's holding up well. Zippers still run smoothly. When I carry the tuba short distances I usually use only one of the two back straps (improper use?) but it has shown no evidence of stress.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

I have used these bags for a few years. Carried my PT6P with no issues across campuses and towns when I couldn't find parking nearby my destination. Never had an issue with the zippers (other than the zipper handle-thing breaking off of the strap compartment's zipper on my euph bag) or the backpack straps. I have also carried two horns at a time (both in Wessex bags) and felt confident they'd be safe.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

I'd agree the Wessex bags are quite good for the price.. A bit clunky, but pretty durable.
Bearin' up!
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I've been using a Wessex bag for my Holton 345BBb for around 2 years. It's holding up very well. I use the backpack straps almost all the time, and they are great. The pockets are large enough to hold music folders, mouthpieces in their cases, oil, supplies, and a neoprene harness (for 'just in case I have to march with this thing'), and a sandwich. I think they are a good product.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

Nice, a good product at a good price. Thanks for the feedback.
pdonoh
bugler
bugler

Post by pdonoh »

I have had th
I have had possibly the largest Wessex bag for my B-S 101 for a few years and have been generally happy. The handles were separating from the bag, but an experienced shoe maker reattached them with leather backing. It's a heavy horn, I carry it a lot and am not easy on things. For the price, they're a good deal, even with a mid-life repair.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

pdonoh wrote:I The handles were separating from the bag, but an experienced shoe maker reattached them with leather backing.
I had this problem too, but in my case it was entirely my fault. I carelessly picked up the bag using only one of the handles, which pulls it out from the bag at an angle. The two handles are meant to be used together, so that they lift the bag together at a proper angle. Ordinary common sense would have prevented this problem.

Even so, the stitching is so tough that I'm continuing to use the handles as is without repair.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

I had one of the earlier bags and the backstrap tore completely off, the horn dropping onto the ground on the bottom bow. I contacted Jonathan, he authorized the repair in full, and sent me a new bag with the improved attachment for the straps. Customer service could not be better than that! All the newer bags have the better attachment now.
My only gripe with the bag is that is wide and a bit clunky for my 186, but this is the bag that most closely fits that model. He explained that they make bags to fit their line of horns, and any other horn must fit into one of them: they are NOT custom made to fit anything other than a Wessex.
Bearin' up!
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

I have one for my King Eb and find that it is well made sturdy and comfortable. A big plus for me is the back straps zip away to keep from dangling everywhere and getting caught. The loading is easy because the bag stands alone and I simply set my horn inside. Zippers are sturdy and the padding is very nice. I have a leather Guard for another horn and this one is better quality case.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

What's a plus for some--the straps zip away--is also a negative for some of us. I am constantly sticking my hand in those flaps! I wish I could get rid of them, as I always use the back straps.
Bearin' up!
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

I ordered one, the 37"x19" bell size for my 12J Conn. Slightly bigger than needed, but close enough. I could use it for a 5J if I go that way someday. I've had side and top loaders. I'm hoping that this loading system might be easier to manage with everyone's bags/cases laying about during rehearsals. I'll have to see if I use the backpack straps much, the horn/case/music will be under 25 lbs.

$135 plus $35 shipping = $170, so a little lower than a $220 Protec with the !5% discount and free shipping to Guitar Center. Should fit better than a Protec also.

Thanks for the help.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I opted for this bag with my Wessex Viverna (an incredible Instrument that deserves its own write up when I have the time).

I do miss having a Cronkhite that I sold with my last horn. However, I’m impressed by the the overall value of this bag but can someone please tell me how to load my horn? LOL

The natural way “feels” like you should load the back of the horn first, so the valve section is facing the zippered section. But that can’t be right... you don’t want the valves pressing against your back... right?

But if you go the other way, you’d have to lay the horn on its valve section of open the case horizontally. That can’t be right either.

Or is the idea to ALWAYS load/unload the horn vertically? Halp!
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

I believe it should always be loaded/unloaded vertically. I put the bell in first at an angle with the valves AWAY from me and then slide the rest in and zip it up. Very slick!
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
Samcai8
bugler
bugler

Post by Samcai8 »

Mine's coming tomorrow. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations.
-Sam
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samcai8
bugler
bugler

Post by Samcai8 »

Well, I just received mine. Construction FEELS sturdy enough, but only time will tell if it IS sturdy enough. Tuba is 26 pounds, bag is 8. That's 34 pounds total. Might be a little heavy, but we'll see.

The bad:
One of the backpack adjustment straps was accidentally sewn into the case back, but I cut it loose. I'll just go ahead and assume that didn't damage the bag.
My horn does like to lie diagonally- possibly onto the valves- inside the case when it's set horizontally, so I guess I'll have to keep it vertical.
And uh the mouthpiece-size-esque pocket is too small for my mouthpiece. Guess I'll use it for either valve oil or Flonase lol.

The good:
Literally everything else (from what I can tell).

Oh and if it's too big, just squeeze in some more foam :)
https://imgur.com/a/Hnu7txN" target="_blank
-Sam
Bacchanalia
bugler
bugler

Post by Bacchanalia »

I just went to purchase one of the 18” x 44” B200’s and it’s now $200.00. I would have sworn that all of the sizes were $135.00 the last time I looked. Maybe the website wasn’t reflecting the change of price when I was clicking around before but I’d looked a few different times. Hmmm. Guess I’m just out of luck. I’ve got a bag I can use so I didn’t REALLY need it, just don’t care for dangling straps and thought this would be a nice solution. Not sure I need to drop $200 + 35 in shipping on a non-essential upgrade :(
Rob Frazier
Mack Brass TU-200S
Mack Brass TB-831L Bass Bone
Mouthpiece Menagerie - Blokepieces when it counts
JefferyHall
lurker
lurker

Post by JefferyHall »

Unfortunately the prices were increased very recently. I just ordered a 'Luzern' with bag, and the bag listed for $200. It's not a very good feeling when one misses the boat.
Jeffery Hall
Mirafone BBb 184 bought new Spring 1980
Wessex BBb Tornister
Wessex BBb Luzern
GW Sam Pilafian Boston Brass in Ti