Gard Tuba Bags

The bulk of the musical talk
ntruhan
bugler
bugler

Gard Tuba Bags

Post by ntruhan »

Hello,
I posted a long while ago about a gig bag for my Meinl Weston 2011FA. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71254

I missed out on the Chronkite bags as he retired and I have been using the old Gig Bag I had with my Yamaha. It has worked ok, however I had not used it in about 6 months and when I took the tuba out of the bag to clean it up before rehearsals began there were small dings and scratches that weren't there before. It was moved a couple times in this period, but I have no idea how it was scratched and this worries me that it would do this in the bag so it must not be very protected if at all.

I checked with Meinl Weston about their Hard case and they actually referred me to an MTS hard case and not their own, and I asked they said if it showed those for sale on their site it was wrong, so I am hesitant on buying their hard case or even gig bag since they didn't recommend their own stuff.

I would prefer a gig bag as it is easier to transport and is lighter, but need protection.

Has anyone used a Gard Bag? http://www.gardbags.com/en/brasswind/tuba
Either the Gig Bag or even Wheelie? And if so, how well does it protect and travel?

Thanks,
Nathan
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Gard Tuba Bags

Post by bort »

Cronkhite bags are now available again, the business was bought out by another company. By the accounts I've read here, the quality is unchanged. Unfortunately, the price is a little higher.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Can't speak to the guard bag, but I think the wheelies aren't that much lighter or at lighter than hard cases. Almost got a wheelie before I looked at the weight in the specs. Picked up a Messina Cover instead, not to shaby. As with many things in life there are good parts and bad parts.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

What are the good and bad parts?
I’m getting one soon and I’m looking at their Sousa bags.
Thanks,
B
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

I have two Gard bags (Euph + EEb tuba). They're great! They're a notch above Pro-tec in terms of quality and fit but probably a notch below Cronkhite. What I like is that the horn (Boosey EEb) is snug and secure, unlike flimsy bags where the horn moves around as you're walking. Straps are good and sold but are not padded. I don't mind top loading, you get used to it. There's a very nice rain cover that is really handy .

For the price, they may be the best compromise out there. I bought both of of music123 as shipping to Canada is often not included and as expensive as the bag.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

I had the top loading mid-suspension bag for years for my PT-4. The case did a good job keeping the horn safe, but the foam inserts would shred on the rotors over time and I had to re attach one of the shoulder straps after about 4 years of daily abuse. I would place it much higher than my protec, but lower than reunion blues and cronkhite. The price is really the big draw.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

I like my Gard bag. The movable padded inserts make it a good fit for both of my concert tubas, and the stiff wooden/foam disc in the bell end is great. I'm with the mob - I'd say Gard is the best choice on a budget, if one can't spring for Cronkite or Messina.

I will say that I'd disregard the wheelie bags myself - rolling over bumps with tbe horn resting on the rim of the bell? No thanks!
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
ntruhan
bugler
bugler

Post by ntruhan »

Thank you all,
Yea a budget is a concern, I did note that Cronkite made the statement that their Leather bag provided 30% more protection then their fabric bag. But well over 2x the price. I would wonder if the same would hold true with the leather Gard bag vs fabric there, even though they don't mention anything like that on their site. In that case there isn't too much difference in price. I am not going to argue with the Mob, don't like the fishes that much :). Just kidding.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Got the mid size Gard bag for my Mackbrunner 210.

Fits good and snug.

I only use one of the adjustable Velcro pads, but the others will come in handy when I get a smaller tuba!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.