Kurath Perantucci CC Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubro
lurker
lurker

Kurath Perantucci CC Tuba

Post by Tubro »

Anybody out there who has ever played a Kurath - Perantucci CC Tuba? Intonation? Playing abilities?
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Kurath Perantucci CC Tuba

Post by bigboymusic »

My memory of the couple from the early 90's was that they were very heavy, but fantastic players.... The F... AMAZING....
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Pretty similar to modern Willson tubas... but physically a different shape (taller and skinnier) Very heavy, huge sound, and a bit rigid -- best for large ensembles. What it does, it does it well.

Intonation is good, but the first valve slide is very hard to reach. Have heard some people say the ergonomics aren't the best, but that varies from person to person.

Bob Tucci had (has?) one of these for sale at his shop in Munich. If he still has it, I'm sure he can give you a good assessment of it.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

Aren't all the Kurath PT horns just predecessors to the standard Willson horns sold today? Is there any significant difference?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

joh_tuba wrote:Aren't all the Kurath PT horns just predecessors to the standard Willson horns sold today? Is there any significant difference?
The Kurath tubas were more "tall and skinny" compared to the modern 3050. They are closely related, but different.

https://www.hornboerse.de/en/category-1 ... struments/" target="_blank
Tubro
lurker
lurker

Post by Tubro »

Thanks to all for your replies!
Do you think the Perantucci model is better than the modern Willson CC Tubas?
Bort, do you think the Tuba in Bob Tuccis shop is worth € 5000?
Any recommendations in the same price range?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Tubro wrote:Thanks to all for your replies!
Do you think the Perantucci model is better than the modern Willson CC Tubas?
Bort, do you think the Tuba in Bob Tuccis shop is worth € 5000?
Any recommendations in the same price range?
If it was better, wouldn't they still make this model?

I'm joking... the history of the Kurath CC is a little complicated, and I'm sure I'd get it all wrong if I tried to repeat it here. But the short version is that this tuba was short-lived partnership (collaboration? not sure the right word) between Willi Kurath and the "Perantucci" brand, and it had something to do with importing the instruments to the US. For whatever reason, it didn't work out, and I believe the Kurath CC and F tuba designs were actually owned by Perantucci... so when the partnership ended, the tuba designs didn't stay with Willi... so Willi ended up making the 3050 (and other) tuba models instead.

So is the Kurath CC much better than a Willson 3050? No clue. But what I can say is that if Bob Tucci tells you the good and bad things about the horn, I'd listen. However, personal preference will always have the last word.

Worth 5000 euro? Assuming you are in the US and would also pay shipping and duties... probably looking into the low $6000 range for a big 5/4 tuba, vetted by a legend, in great shape, fully serviced and ready to go, with a gig bag and a mouthpiece.

There are some tubas in the low $6,000 range, but not a ton of them. You'll have to do your homework, and decide to what extent price dictates your tuba options. If you have more than $6,000 you would be willing to spend, you will have more options.

Hope that helps a little.
Tubro
lurker
lurker

Post by Tubro »

Thanks a lot for all these Informations, it helps a lot!
Eastman
lurker
lurker

Post by Eastman »

Tubro, have you bought the Kurath Perantucci? It has disappeared from the Hornboerse homepage ...