MPC for a Holton 345

The bulk of the musical talk
MichaelDenney
bugler
bugler

MPC for a Holton 345

Post by MichaelDenney »

I got one of the good BBb 345s recently, aesthetically something of a diamond in the rough but a monster player! A Monette 94 seems to work fairly well for me, but I haven't played a horn this big since the Nixon administration, so I would like to try a few additional mouthpieces for comparison.

Which mouthpieces have you Holton 345 players out there used? I already tried a Helleberg and an old 24AW, but they both sounded comparatively thin and articulation was clumsy--partially because Helleberg rims have never worked well for me.

Since the horn is used in a tuba-euph quartet and in a medium-size wind band I am thinking about two different sizes with matching rims. Any suggestions?
It is impossible to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Gravid
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gravid »

For me, the Dillon MIC(L) provides a good compromise of tonal breadth, low register response, and clear articulation. I also use the Dillon F1/F2 mpcs on my F tuba, and if I'm not mistaken, they all have the same rim.
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

I play my Holton 345 CC with a PT-44 mp. I did a clinic two or three years ago with Sam Pilafian and he suggested it because it is a smallish funnel type of mouthpiece to get a little more core and color to the big woofy horn. It has worked for me pretty well in a lot of different settings.

--T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: MPC for a Holton 345

Post by Rick Denney »

MichaelDenney wrote:Since the horn is used in a tuba-euph quartet and in a medium-size wind band I am thinking about two different sizes with matching rims. Any suggestions?
I use two mouthpiece with my Holton, a PT-48 and a Laskey 30H. The Laskey is a little less bright but still has good clarity. The PT-48 is bigger around but a bit shallower and provides excellent clarity on this big instrument. I use the Laskey with big ensembles (or a more "orchestral" sound) and the PT-48 when in a more solo situation, or when I want to put a little edge on the sound (to the extent possible with this instrument and my abilities).

The rims aren't the same but then I play a range of mouthpieces for different instruments so my lips are used to change.

Rick "thinking both mouthpiece have excellent anti-woof properties" Denney
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

So is the Holton 345 the official tuba of anyone named Denney?
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

hey,
FWIW, to me big tubas (I have a big Conn 36 BBb) a smaller mpc works better than a larger one. The best setup that I've used was the Chuck Dallenbach Canadian Brass MPC (which is kinda like a slightly bigger 7b), but I don't think they are making those anymore, but I think the Floyd Cooley Helleberg is real similar. Or you could get the GW Alan Baer MPC's. I'm using them on my CC and F right now and I really like them.
Good Luck,
Bill Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Holton 345 Mouthpiece

Post by Lee Stofer »

Then, there is the possibility of trying out the mouthpiece that probably was original equipment with the horn, the Holton Revelation 52. I played a CC345 in college, and since it was the '70's and everyone wanted a German rotary tuba, no one else wanted to use this tuba that Western Kentucky University owned. It came with the Revelation 52, a mouthpiece with the Helleberg-style funnel, rounded rim, a bit of mass to the outside, not too large inside, very comfortable to me. I think that a little searching would yield one of these mouthpieces. The last time I was at the Tuba Exchange, Vince had one available, and at a decent price.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Holton 345 Mouthpiece

Post by Rick Denney »

Lee Stofer wrote:Then, there is the possibility of trying out the mouthpiece that probably was original equipment with the horn, the Holton Revelation 52. I played a CC345 in college, and since it was the '70's and everyone wanted a German rotary tuba, no one else wanted to use this tuba that Western Kentucky University owned. It came with the Revelation 52, a mouthpiece with the Helleberg-style funnel, rounded rim, a bit of mass to the outside, not too large inside, very comfortable to me. I think that a little searching would yield one of these mouthpieces. The last time I was at the Tuba Exchange, Vince had one available, and at a decent price.
I have one of those, but I'm not getting the notion of not being too big on the inside. Every time I've tried mine, I've felt like I could take a bath in it, even compared to a PT-48.

Of course, I'm not playing with Lee Stofer chops, and that makes a huge difference.

Rick "who thinks all tuba-playing Denneys should own a Holton--wait!--they do!" Denney
MichaelDenney
bugler
bugler

Post by MichaelDenney »

I love this tuba community! A person can get such useful advice that is based on face time rather than being mere speculation, and merely for the asking. Thank you all for the help in narrowing the field for my mouthpiece chase.

I backtracked and spent a good deal of time on a Helleberg and am feeling more at ease with it than in the past (perhaps it's the Holton magic?), so maybe I can try some the suggestions from that half of the mouthpiece world too. After all, why waste a perfectly good opportunity to buy and sell more mouthpieces?

This horn is sooooooo much fun. And it almost plays itself in certain ranges. When I tape it in my recording studio (aka guest bathroom) it sounds almost like Matt Good in the Meyerson Symphony Hall. Well...like an amateur in the facilities doing an interesting imitation of Matt Good, I guess, but it impresses my wife who is trying to sleep at the opposite end of the house.
It is impossible to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

so far for me, the pt50+ is allowing me to do what i want to do.I feel like i have to work extra hard to articulate,but that has always been a strong suit for me,so its working. when i want to put the pedal down,which with one of these you are going to want to do,it can handle around 85-90% of what i really want to give it, with impressive sonic results. i do have an original holton mp i got from Lee when he tweaked on my horn a couple years back.Is this the one your talking about, Lee? anyway, it wants to back up on me a bit at the more aggressive end of the spectrum due to its small backbore,but is sweet on all but the really gutsy stuff. i really like what i can do on my holton and the sound i get.it's fun...