Trip to the Northeast

The bulk of the musical talk
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Trip to the Northeast

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I will be visiting my daughter in Wrentham, MA the first of next month. I should have a chance to go to Dillon's, but no farther south. We will be going north to Portland, MN along the coast and then back though the mountains to see the fall colors. Fall is my wife's favorite season, and this trip is on her bucket list. I hope to find some tuba mouth pieces to replace the ones that mysteriously disappeared when I was on gone a month. I need some Besson shanks for a couple of my babies.
So where else might I look for mouth pieces from Mass. to Main.
Also your favorite antique stores, second hand store, or where ever you might go to when treasure hunting.

Thanks
Charlie C. Chowder
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Trip to the Northeast

Post by bort »

Stork Mouthpieces (https://storkcustom.com/" target="_blank) is in Vermont, but I'm not sure if it's a place you can physically visit. Worth calling, though.

That's a lot of territory to cover, so maybe pick a few things and plan your route carefully to allow plenty of driving (and stopping!) time. Maine is an enormous state.

Portland, Maine is very nice. Kennebunkport is along the way, and also a nice small town to visit. Portsmouth, NH is also a good place! Eat lots of lobster (particularly lobster rolls), it's plentiful and the best you can get.

Inland, the White Mountains in New Hampshire are about as good as it gets for fall foliage (if your timing is right). I'm not sure when the road for Mt Washington closes for the season (or the cog wheel train), but that's a must-do if you're in the area and it's open.

Drive farther west and you'll be in Vermont. Montpellier is a great small town, the smallest capital city in the US, I believe. Keep driving west, and you'll get to Burlington, VT which is on Lake Champlain. I've never been to Portland, Oregon... but my guess is that culturally, Burlington will feel a lot like Portland. Much smaller... but a similar vibe. It's a very nice place, and a lot of great food there as well.

Most of the tourist places will be busy, because everyone will be there for the foliage and turning leaves. But, it shouldn't be too hard to escape all that and just enjoy the time out in nature.

Just be sure to book hotel rooms early!
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Rooms are booked. I have a very good wife who handles the money. I had not thought of Mount Washington. I will talk to her about it.

Thanks,
Charlie C. Chowder
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

You mean you have just one day for Dillons? So much to see and play.
I know that's your southern limit, but 4 hours south Baltimore Brass (by appointment) is amazing.

Traveling anywhere in ME, NH, and VT will be a treat. Nice to do a big loop, and get of the main highways, up round Route 2. Each state has its own flavor, VT red maples and lots of aspens in NH, I like along the Connecticut river, and in ME, it can be totally different along the ocean coast compared to inland. (BTW, don't put MN in your GPS for directions or you'll end up in Minnesota. Which is also very nice in autumn.)
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
Jobey Wilson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jobey Wilson »

Portland, ME has some of the best restaurants in the country!! Absolutely get some lobster (lobstah)!! It's absolutely incredible up there. You will most definitely see some beautiful foliage in NH, ME & VT... not sure if trees will turn by then in MA. It's been unseasonably warm here in Boston lately...mid 90's this week...some schools without A/C have even closed. Dillon's would probably be your best bet for mouthpieces. I'd be curious if you found some Besson shanks...one of the schools where I teach lessons has a couple small Besson BBb's. Enjoy your trip! My wife loves the Wrentham Outlets :lol: jobey
Joseph "Jobey" Wilson, DMA
Pittsburg State University
www.pittstate.edu/music/
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

BrassedOn wrote: I know that's your southern limit, but 4 hours south Baltimore Brass (by appointment) is amazing.
An appointment to go to Baltimore Brass??

I just pop in!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Three Valves wrote:
BrassedOn wrote: I know that's your southern limit, but 4 hours south Baltimore Brass (by appointment) is amazing.
An appointment to go to Baltimore Brass??

I just pop in!! :tuba:
Same here- and they're always glad to see us (or at least they act that way :twisted: )
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

You mentioned antiques. The so-called "antique capital of New England" is Putnam, Connecticut, about an hour from Wrentham.

http://www.discoverputnam.com/

They have a handful of massive antique shops (oodles and oodles and oodles of stuff), some great restaurants (85 Main, Elizabeth's Farmhouse, Victoria Station Cafe) and a quaint and quirky Main Street area. It's a really small mill town nestled on the banks of the Quinebaug River.

While Mass, Maine, NH and VT get a lot of love for their fall foliage, northeast Connecticut is beautiful too. Way different than down near NYC.
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeMilnarik »

Easier finding mouthpieces online. Dillon has some, and they used to have a box of used ones you can dig through. You might find something in there that will work...all depends what's in the box. Between MA and ME - nothing in the way of places that sell tuba mouthpieces, beyond small music stores maybe selling Bach 18s/22s/24AWs or a Conn Helleberg (120). etc.

One thing while you are up here ... BE SURE to put Portland, ME in your GPS and not Portland, MN or it's gonna be a really loooooong trip. ;)

Enjoy Northern New England! Especially Portland, it's a great small city!

Mike Milnarik
http://www.milnarik.com

INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET
MMI - TUBA EUPHONIUM ACADEMY
TUBASTUDIO.com

Tufts University & Milnarik Music Initiative