What does it take, to get you high?

The bulk of the musical talk

What does "high F" mean, to you? Refer to the image for pitch notation.

F1
No votes
F2
No votes
F3
13%
F4
82%
other
5%

Total votes: 78

NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Re: What does it take, to get you high?

Post by NCSUSousa »

Donn wrote:Not sure about that. I skimmed some discussion of solfège and what not, and it looks to me like when it came up in the 11th century, the syllables that became do, re, mi etc. were "movable", as they continue to be in the English speaking world, Germany and I'm guessing Scandinavia.
I may not have much education on music theory, but both of my parents were music majors and I can confirm from their experience, and the stories they've related to me, that the solfege system can be moveable. 'Do' is the tonal note and it progresses (do, re, mi) up through the chromatic scale from that point. My dad had the experience in a college classroom of observing a guest conductor (from China) who used solfege to sing the music to the various sections of the orchestra. The usage in that setting does differentiate sharps and flats relative to the key signature because that's how they're used for strings.

Doing a quick check of Wikipedia (not a citation worthy source all the time, but sometimes useful for finding such sources), there are indications that different music schools either teach solfege as moveable to the major scale of each key signature or fixed to the C scale. I'm not sure you can trust Wikipedia to identify which regions of the world use it in which way, but it does provide a list for both systems.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

Donn wrote:Not sure about that. I skimmed some discussion of solfège and what not, and it looks to me like when it came up in the 11th century, the syllables that became do, re, mi etc. were "movable", as they continue to be in the English speaking world, Germany and I'm guessing Scandinavia. Not that it really matters - I mean, I suppose it would be interesting to ask our French speaking colleagues qui est la Fa haut?, but common practice here is to use English.
Judging from conversations on some piano forums, fixed do remains almost religiously popular in large parts of the world, even where both systems exist. For my purposes (sightreading and sightsinging tonal Western based music) movable do seems much more useful, but the other side passionately insists that is not true.

When Sound of Music and the do-a-deer song was recorded, it was written in C. Maria had a cold and did it in Bb. The controversy over intent continues.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

In Italy and probably other parts of Europe, Do is the name of the note we call C. Re is the name of D, etc. It is not moveable. Somebody else decided it was.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

My impression of the wikipedia fixed/movable regional inventory, is that it largely coincides with people's attitudes towards eating mushrooms. If your people like mushrooms, you're going to be calling C "do"; if your people fear and loathe mushrooms, you'll be saying "what the heck, do could be C or anything else!" With respect to Europe and thereabouts. In the rest of the world, it seems to follow language, as in South America they generally seem to follow the Spanish and Portuguese with the fixed system, while elsewhere it's movable.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I love mushrooms....

...and tallboys.

Talk about a great way to blow an afternoon!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

Three Valves wrote:I love mushrooms....

...and tallboys.

Talk about a great way to blow an afternoon!!
yee