Wozzeck at the Met 1959

The bulk of the musical talk
mbell
bugler
bugler

Wozzeck at the Met 1959

Post by mbell »

In his book, Harvey Phillips mentions playing in the 1961 production of Wozzeck at the Met. Does anyone know if he played on the 1959 production? That was the first Met production of Wozzeck. Both productions were conducted by Karl Bohm, feature mostly the same principle singers and both were done in English. At any rate, I discovered a friend had an open reel tape of the 1959 broadcast. Whoever is playing tuba on it sounds really good. I assume Joe Novotny was in the pit. I am wondering if Harvey Phillips was playing with the on-stage band as he did in the 1961 production. The whole brass section sounds quite good considering this was probably the first time most of them were playing this very difficult music. Mr. Phillips mentions having played Wozzeck earlier with the New York City Opera.

I have placed MP3 and FLAC versions in this Google drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d_2lw ... E9WSvOhJb7" target="_blank
There is one file for each act and an info file. The stage band and much of the interesting tuba parts occur in the second act. Check out starting around 10:15 and then again around 18:45 and going for several minutes.

mike
Michael Bell
Austin, Texas

Cerveny 601 Kaiser(1962), Cerveny Piggy(1970s), Reynolds sousaphone (1959)
Austin Civic Wind Ensemble
Austin Brass Band
St. Edward's Orchestra
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wozzeck at the Met 1959

Post by EdFirth »

I'm not totally sure of his dates but Herb Wekselblatt was the tuba player with the Met for years. Joe followed Bill Bell into the NY Phil.
The Singing Whale
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I was surprised to find that there is no biography of Herbert Wekselblatt online. There is little record of his many years in the Met orchestra. He played in the orchestra there from at least the early 1960's until the 1990's. Someone who has information about him should publish a page for him in wikipedia. Unbelievable.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
mbell
bugler
bugler

Post by mbell »

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot on Joe Novotny online either, unless I am just not looking in the right place.

mike
Michael Bell
Austin, Texas

Cerveny 601 Kaiser(1962), Cerveny Piggy(1970s), Reynolds sousaphone (1959)
Austin Civic Wind Ensemble
Austin Brass Band
St. Edward's Orchestra
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Weren't there some fairly recent ITEA Journal articles on both of these men? Maybe just wishful thinking?