Schilke HII - F

The bulk of the musical talk
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Schilke HII - F

Post by bigboymusic »

I know all MP's are different to each player, but just curious on the feelings of the Schilke HIIF, especially for use on an E flat. I have been using a Laskey 30C, but I'm not a huge fan. Any others I should try???
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Schilke HII - F

Post by Tom »

The SH-II F was a mouthpiece I really wanted to like. It seemed perfect on paper: I am a fan of the SH-II rim, am comfortable with the SH-II i.d. and the cup shape and backbore seemed to work well for me on contrabass tubas. So...when I ran across the SH-II F it seemed like my quest for an F tuba version of the SH-II would come to an end and I would have the perfect match.

Well...it just wasn't right. I don't know if it was too deep, wrong backbore, wrong shape or a combination of all of those things but it just was not a good match for me with my instrument. Maybe it was me or maybe it's the instrument I play, but I found better matches elsewhere in mouthpieces of a pretty different style. The SH-II F was just hard to play and took away a lot of the F tuba character and tended more contrabass like and didn't have the focus that I was after.

Chances are that if you don't like the 30C (or 30F), you won't really like the SH-II F as it is very similar.

If I were shopping (especially) for a F or Eb tuba mouthpiece, I'd work through the blokepiece options.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.