any tricky and/or awesome parts in....

The bulk of the musical talk
me
bugler
bugler

any tricky and/or awesome parts in....

Post by me »

...Mahler 4 and Carmina Burana?

just got the word that my orchestra is programing these pieces for the first half of the coming season. we're even performing carmina burana with a ballet company and choir. any parts that absolutely scream tuba (from listening many times i know there are, but any specific sections or tips)
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

I love the movement of In Taberna Quando Sumus. Is the orchestra part the same as the band part? If so, then you're in for a treat. I also like Tanz. Good stuff for tuba. And Ave Formosissima. I just love that song! :lol:

Ralph
corbasse
3 valves
3 valves

Post by corbasse »

Don't know about the Carmina, but Mahler 4 has no tuba :cry:
It has a great fourth horn part though ;)
Mark

Post by Mark »

corbasse wrote:... but Mahler 4 has no tuba ...
Mahler 4 has no low brass at all.
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubacdk »

carmina burana is pretty straight ahead and fun to play. there is one exposed top space Gb that you're supposed to lay into pretty heavy and that's a note that is easy to split on somce CC tubas. so make sure you're comfortable on that. other than that, enjoy the ride.
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Re: any tricky and/or awesome parts in....

Post by tubapress »

me wrote:...Mahler 4 and Carmina Burana?

just got the word that my orchestra is programing these pieces for the first half of the coming season. we're even performing carmina burana with a ballet company and choir. any parts that absolutely scream tuba (from listening many times i know there are, but any specific sections or tips)
This is such a wonderful work and it should be an amazing experience with ballet.

There are number of places to be aware of:

1. 2 measures before Rehearsal No. 93. A G-flat in the top space of the staff is written at FF witha diminuendo. Be aware that this is total solo and take the FF with a grain of salt.

2. 2 measures after Rehearsal No. 100. You cover 2 octaves plus a Major second in the course of 2 measures. Goes to E above the staff.

3. One of my favorite spots begins at the start of section 24. The scalewise descending line, to me, makes the whole thing work.

Have fun!
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
mTaUrBkA
3 valves
3 valves

Post by mTaUrBkA »

when my youth orchestra played Carmina Burana with a local university.....i don't remember their being a tuba part. However this concert combining both orchestra occurs every year, so there is a chance it was a different piece
corbasse
3 valves
3 valves

Post by corbasse »

Mark wrote:
corbasse wrote:... but Mahler 4 has no tuba ...
Mahler 4 has no low brass at all.
Yup. Fourth horn takes the role of the low brass section. That's why I find it such a great part ;)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

The first time I did Carmina, at the first rehearsal I missed the Gb. And the conductor DEMANDED fff!. I was so embarrassed that for the rest of the series, rehearsals and concerts, before I lit up with that lick I buzzed (INAUDIBLY) the Gb an octave lower so that I was sure I had a lock on the pitch. Be sure to do what you need to do to play it in tune, as well, because it is VERY exposed, and the conductor will likely make a show of cuing you.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Watch out for

Post by Roger Lewis »

the next to last movement. There is great potential for extreme hyperventilation here, making the transition into the last movement less than secure due to blurred vision and lightheadedness. You are continuously playing loud, long tones with little or no time to clear your head before the last movement begins. Just be aware of this potential. The lick to the high E can be a bit fussy as well - play it with confidence.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson