Buying a tuba while being tall

The bulk of the musical talk
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Buying a tuba while being tall

Post by gwwilk »

JCradler wrote:Soap box time:
Get a tuba stand. Not one that displays the tuba, one that is for use while playing, sometimes billed as a "Tuba Rest". Baltimore Brass sells one, but it doesn't need to come from them. It allows any player to put the instrument, almost any instrument, exactly at the right height with any chair and sit up straight. I also allows the hips and legs to relax. The mouthpiece is always where it should be. You don't need to do anything to the tuba at a repair shop.
Yes, it's something else to carry, but it's worth the trade off in my opinion. I began using a BBC stand about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. In addition, there is the theory/belief that the stand carries extra vibration energy to the floor rather than into one's thighs. This, arguably, projects more sound to the audience. I don't care too much either way about that theory. I DO care about my comfort and posture when playing. In addition, my accuracy definitely improved when I began using a stand. I believe using a stand is the equivalent of an end pin on a cello or bass, we're just a bit late to the party since we play such a relatively young instrument.
To sum up- get a stand.
John Cradler
Well said, and it reflects my experience exactly.Image Image Image
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com